Theres rare then theres very rare!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

A few months ago my friend Dario had a small block of American Chestnut burl for sale and even though 95% of my sales are from man made materials I always try to have some wooden pens that have a story , history , are rare or beautiful. I believe this one qualifies in all of the above.
This is the first time that I lacquer dipped using Billy Burks method, and the jury is still out on this finish.

IMG_1475-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBone

Great looking piece of wood and it turned into a great looking pen. I like the finish, it appears to be more of a satin look and seems to suit the wood.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Foreman, Call the jury back, we have a verdict:

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Seems to have a nice satin look - great for high end wood, IMO!!​

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Roy,

Gaudy, flashy, shiny moving things do sell (we call this the "fish syndrome", since these are the same things that make a good lure).

But, once in a great while, you get a wood guy --- have a few for HIM!!! This is one.

It'll take a wood guy to know that chestnut is rare, anyhow.

JohnU

Absolutly stunning pen Roy! I like everything about it. The kit is perfect for the blanks. A very warm finish and the choice of blank is beautiful. Nice work!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Great looking pen Roy. Jeff the American Chestnut is not extinct, there was a period of blight that wiped out most of them, but there are still a few patches of them around. I haven't seen any burls on them yet, but I'll keep looking.

RAdams

Banned
yeah i have some wormy chestnut too. not as fancy as Roy's burl here, but yet and still.

Amazing work as usual Roy!

rjwolfe3

Someone gave me some Chestnut just the other week - not real big logs about 3-4 inch in diameter. Of course this depends on if he knows what Chestnut is lol.

bitshird

Gorggeous pen Roy, I like lacquer finishes, I just wish they didn't take so long, I like the fact the wood still looks like wood, that satin finish is beautiful.

Top Bottom