There is No Arizona, No Painted Desert......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mack C.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
But there is a Sedona!

attachment.jpg

pen, that is!

This one has been turned in X-Cut Zebrawood, then dyed yellow (gold) to increase the chatoyance and the contrast of the dark stripes. The plating is Ti. Gold.

Attachments

• 271 (Small).jpg
    271 (Small).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 482
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonM

Great looking pen. And I learned a new word, too! Thanks. =)

cha·toy·ant (sh-toint)
adj.
Having a changeable luster.
n.
A chatoyant stone or gemstone, such as the cat's-eye.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mack,

It's a GREAT looking pen. But, I'm amazed no one has commented on your turning skills!! Crosscut zebrawood is a BEAR! NICE job.

How many bottles of CA???:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Mack,

It's a GREAT looking pen. But, I'm amazed no one has commented on your turning skills!!
Crosscut zebrawood is a BEAR! NICE job.
Hi Ed; That one is my 4th Zebra X-cut. I blew the one before it out, and the 1st 2 were both successes. I owe it all to my Sorby Spindlemasters.

How many bottles of CA???
Strange as it may seem, I never even thought of using CA while turning.

I finished it with 6 coats of 4 hr. dry poly. It still had some small open pores, so I sanded it back to rough it up, and then proceeded to finish with CA/BLO. There are still some minute (invisible to the naked eye) open pores showing under my 10 power glass, so no Ren wax on this one.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Honestly, I haven't tried to turn it in years. When I did, I did not know of the CA tricks. However, I have great respect for your skills!!!

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Honestly, I haven't tried to turn it in years. When I did, I did not know of the CA tricks. However, I have great respect for your skills!!!
Hi Ed; Let's not get carried away here! It's all in the tools and where you place your tongue at the side of your mouth. I think it should be out the right side, or let me see, should it be the left side.

I seem to recall a vid you made not too long ago turning your Alternate Ivory. Turning that stuff gave me fits for a while until I saw your video. I'm guessing it's like riding a bike, it's something that comes back to you very quickly.

I meant to shown this one in my previous post.
attachment.jpg

It's a Baron Rollerball in X-Cut Pauduk. Most woods show up so much better when turned X-Cut.

Attachments

• 256 (Small).jpg
    256 (Small).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 212

akbar24601

That is absolutely Stunning!!! The combination of blank and kit are smashing! Great call on the dyeing, that blank looks great!!!

Top Bottom