A Themed Segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A fellow IAP member and I are doing a PITH, he suggested the theme, and this was my first attempt. For his pen, I tweaked a few elements where I wanted a slightly different appearance.

This one, the first iteration I kept for myself. Suggestions and comments welcomed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 772

magpens

Absolutely beautiful work, Mark !!! . I envy your creativity !!!

Great timing with the release of this design, also !!

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Once again, an awesome segmented pen. Far be it for me to offer any suggestions. I am just fascinated by your segments. Nice work!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent work and attention to detail!

Thank you Mark. Being mindful to detail is a curse and a blessing. Fortunately, if I turn 10-20 pens a year I am doing well for my interests.

Absolutely beautiful work, Mark !!! . I envy your creativity !!!

Great timing with the release of this design, also !!

Thank you Mal. As an admirer of Notre Dame, this is not a good week.

Beautiful Work and Perfect segments! Great colors too!

Thank you Hank, I was hoping the "sunrays" would be vibrant; I was happy with the result.

Looks good to me . Don`t see much need for re-iteration .

Thanks Wayne. I did alter a couple of things for the "sister" pen. But I was fine with both.

Awesome work! That's a beautiful pen!

Thank you Chris.

Fantastic Pen my Friend!! And a great tribute :)

Thanks Ernie. I hope it does the concept justice. Like comparing hamburger to filet mignon.

Once again, an awesome segmented pen. Far be it for me to offer any suggestions. I am just fascinated by your segments. Nice work!

Thanks Buddy! It helps to have a boring life, can't sleep, and like to browse for new design concepts. :rolleyes:

Beautiful looking pen there. Lot of work.

Thank you Mahdee. This was actually a fairly easy blank construction. I'll post pictures of the process in a few minutes - very workable for you.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Absolutely amazing! It looks like now I have something else to try. Did you use spectraply for those colorful segments?

Hi Ronnie. Thank you for the kind comments. Yes, I did use spectraply - I'm seeing some real advantages for it at times. I will post some build-up pictures in a few minutes.

This was not a difficult construct, so I encourage you/others to play with it.

Be well.

It's excellent and reminds me of work Eagle used to do.

I suspected an IAP member in the same "vintage" as Eagle would pick up on the theme. And you especially as I believe you have some of his work.

Yes, the suggested theme was "Pentarsia." So this is my effort to honor "The Master". However, as I have mentioned to Ernie - this is like comparing hamburger to filet mignon!

I never had the "privilege" to debate segmenting with Eagle, but I suspect he would be OK with my efforts as ... "I didn't ask him how he did his!"

I have read many threads on/with Eagle's comments, so I am familiar with the deep waters I have dove into.

Judge my humble works for what they are.

Fantastic!

Thanks Mike.

One of your best designs Mark .........beautiful work !!!:bananen_smilies068:

Thanks Joe - I still will give you credit/blame for me doing this stuff!!! (Thanks).

Very nice!

Thanks Lewis

That may be the best segmented pen I've ever seen.

Thanks Keith. I'm not sure I'll agree with you, but your comment is appreciated. :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Build-Up Sequence

I have gotten some requests for the process of this blank, so if you are one of those that "Likes to figure it out for yourself," better log off now. :wink::wink::wink:

I hope this does not sound arrogant or presumptuous, but for a segmented blank, this one is rather simple. Just a few pieces!:

Take your time,
some precision,
but very feasible for most folks.
(Yes, screw up 1-2 then you will tweak your process and will be fine).

PM me with any questions. (I apologize for any pictures on a side view - I am still working on that skill).

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 143

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark,
I suspect Eagle is smiling down enjoying your beautiful workmanship and exceptional mastery of segmentation!

Gary... I appreciate your comments. I am truly humbled.

I have read the history, I do know Eagle's appreciation for "self-discovery" and I understand his attitude for not depriving others of the satisfaction of "figuring it out."

I, conversely freely display what I can do, for others to improve on. I believe in a Library, I believe in Teachers, I believe in Elders assisting younglings. Showing "How" is only a beginning. The real chore is the application and trial and error to tweak the process.

Not-with-standing, I submit my blank for others to be inspired from. It is a small piece in the evolution of our craft. This is fun, as it should be.

Be well.

OZturner

A Beautifully Precise, Segmented Pen Mark
Splendid Choice of Timbers, Colours and Texture.
Outstanding Craftsmanship from Concept to Conclusion.
Incredible Joints and Junctions.
Ideal Choice of Hardware,(though I can't recall having seen it before.)
I cannot Conceive any Improvements to Suggest, It is Magnificent!
Congratulations,
Brian.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A Beautifully Precise, Segmented Pen Mark
Splendid Choice of Timbers, Colours and Texture.
Outstanding Craftsmanship from Concept to Conclusion.
Incredible Joints and Junctions.
Ideal Choice of Hardware,(though I can't recall having seen it before.)
I cannot Conceive any Improvements to Suggest, It is Magnificent!
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thank you for your kind comments Brian. I believe the kit is the Jr Anthony. It has sat in a bin for a few years, but I believe that is the proper name.

Cheers, Mark

Paul in OKC

My first thought was Eagle as well. Yes,he was an odd duck, but very inspiring at the same time. Very nice work. As a machinist I get the focus on detail being a blessing and (mostly :) ) a curse. Probably why I do so very little pens any more is my own expectations! (Trying to get beyond that)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Pretty amazing!

Thank you Bryan.

My first thought was Eagle as well. Yes,he was an odd duck, but very inspiring at the same time. Very nice work. As a machinist I get the focus on detail being a blessing and (mostly :) ) a curse. Probably why I do so very little pens any more is my own expectations! (Trying to get beyond that)

Thank you also Paul.

I am fairly particular about the details in the design, the placement on the tube and that there are no tapers (the centers were accurately marked/drilled). But once the design is decent, I am far less particular about my finishes; not my strong suit by any means.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Looks pretty nice from over here. As other have mentioned and even before I read the comments, at first glance reminded me of some of Eagle's work.

Sly Dog

"I, conversely freely display what I can do, for others to improve on. I believe in a Library, I believe in Teachers, I believe in Elders assisting younglings. Showing "How" is only a beginning. The real chore is the application and trial and error to tweak the process."

Mark - just a shout out to your skills as a teacher and one who appreciates them as much as the amazing designs you create. That pen is just amazing. Thanks for sharing both the pen and process.

Russ

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looks pretty nice from over here. As other have mentioned and even before I read the comments, at first glance reminded me of some of Eagle's work.

Thank you Bruce. I fondly remember my few hrs with you and your "Band of merry men and women." Waldo had a great time that week. I need to make another midnight ride and attend one of your meetings.

"I, conversely freely display what I can do, for others to improve on. I believe in a Library, I believe in Teachers, I believe in Elders assisting younglings. Showing "How" is only a beginning. The real chore is the application and trial and error to tweak the process."

Mark - just a shout out to your skills as a teacher and one who appreciates them as much as the amazing designs you create. That pen is just amazing. Thanks for sharing both the pen and process.

Russ

Thank you Russ. As I have reflected before - I truly hope others will try the segmenting I do. This design in particular is an easier one. It's fun and will lead into a variety of cool design modifications. Folks just need to be willing to screw up 1-2x, then they will tweak their process and all will be well.

As a penturner, I am not particularly skilled. BUT, I am committed to teaching (my background), and I fully believe in the process of "showing what you did," encouraging others to "try that process," then "watching what new creative paths spring up." This is how our craft will expand.

This pen was inspired from someone before me with much more imagination and skills than I. But I am grateful for the inspiration.

Have a go at it!!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
As a penturner, I am not particularly skilled. BUT, I am committed to teaching (my background), and I fully believe in the process of "showing what you did," encouraging others to "try that process," then "watching what new creative paths spring up." This is how our craft will expand.

This pen was inspired from someone before me with much more imagination and skills than I. But I am grateful for the inspiration.

Have a go at it!!!

I enjoy teaching others and it is difficult for me to step back and pull out the "ability to discover" in others, but I have learned it. I am not selfish with teaching others and it is easier for me to show someone than helping them "discover". But I learned when overseas that extra excitement when people discovered - such as "How to swim after I pushed them into the water" :biggrin: so to speak. One of the nationals that I helped train in church planting (and he wasn't a pastor) got very sick and asked LOML and I to fill in for a while at the church he was planting. LOML and I went and filled in. As the people asked difficult questions about some OT scripture, we would answer. Then at the end of the study, one said "Both of you are very helpful in giving us answers. Mr. M would never tell us the answers, he made us look up the answer and give it next week." (Of course that is how we taught him) LOML and I looked at each other rather sheepishly and said that is the way we SHOULD have done them. The short of it was that they were head and shoulders above other churches in scriptural understanding, and they were a "just beginning" church.

Training how to discover is an art. At the same time, not wanting any to be discouraged is also commendable. In reality, it is easier for me to show than teach how to discover. My middle daughter on the other hand has that gift of teaching how to discover and loves doing it. I fully understand what you are saying, and those that help others to "discover" on their own, can be cranky! :wink::biggrin:

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Training how to discover is an art. At the same time, not wanting any to be discouraged is also commendable. In reality, it is easier for me to show than teach how to discover. My middle daughter on the other hand has that gift of teaching how to discover and loves doing it. I fully understand what you are saying, and those that help others to "discover" on their own, can be cranky! :wink::biggrin:

I agree with all your comments Hank. I guess I relate back to training to be a classical musician: You would practice the works of the "Masters" over, and over, and over again until you have the fundamental skills. Then with that basis of skills, you can begin to explore your own creativity.

When you were working with your folks in the church... They had previously been taught how to read! Without that basic skill, they could not have read and interpreted on their own.

I really believe what I am showing is a lot of basics. Uniform pieces, even cuts, tight glue lines, centered end points for the turning, etc. After mastering these, personal creativity can then be explored.

And while I agree, mastering a classical work may be less rewarding than composing your own; many folks don't wish to be composers, they aspire to be performers. Composers do not hide their work - they put it out there for others to appreciate and perform. (Yes, I concede the issue that they were paid to compose, but others are also paid to perform).

Interesting discussion. I appreciate your comments.

GaryMGg

I had to laugh when I read this. You've become the most prolific segmented pen maker on the IAP.
If you're not skilled, I don't know what to say...
:biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

Top Bottom