Theme and Variations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Kaspar

Some of you may remember this little number ...

2_Zebra_Composite_002_-_open_-_med.jpg

... from a while back.

Here's the same idea with ... pink. Lots of Pink. Very pink pink with some light pink. It's an order for a friend, who is giving it to her sister. Being a manly man, it's not something I would have done on my own, but I like how it turned out.

1_Pink_Zebra_-_capped_-_med.jpg

In a couple of weeks, I hope to have another variation on this theme.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
the Best of Iap compititions are coming up you might want to save one for the compitiions.

Justturnin

How did you keep the resin from mixing when your poured these?..........Very nice. I am really amazed by them. I cant even see the kit, I cant take my eyes off the blanks.

D.Oliver

Both of those pens are beautiful. Brian, The top one is Kasper's too. It was in the random pictures about a week ago. It caught my eye then, maybe that's where you saw it. Of course I'm not exactly sure how the random pics works...whether or not the random pic are the same for me as they are for you.

EricJS

Very cool. I have seen that one before. I don`t know if the first one is yours but they both rock!

If you've visited Arizona Silhouette, you've probably seen this pen. In fact, many of Eric's (Kaspar's) pens are featured on their web site.

Eric, that's another beautiful piece of art! The craftsmanship is amazing.:biggrin:

Kaspar

I tallied it up this time, and it takes 20 hours to make this. Except for the scallop pieces, each piece gets "dimensioned" in a thickness sander. The glue ups are tricky, and the blank scallop cuts are trickiest of all. Really, all that dimensioning ought to be done on a milling machine with a good angle vise. Maybe one day.

Kaspar

Thanks all!

Eric, it's good to see you making pens again. Your work is awesome. Looking forward to seeing the Jr. Emperor.

Keith "mrburls"

I've been making pens, but it was all basic stuff, and I didn't bother putting them up. These are special though. :)

Really enjoy seeing your work.

Do you use the Byrnes tools to make these?

Yes. The saw and the thickness sander. There are some interesting things you can do with the precision disk sander too, but I haven't got around to those yet. Never enough time.

FWIW, if you have those machines, I find it's important to clean off and wax that saw table frequently. On the thickness sander, I use those little cans of compressed air to blow the dust out of the sandpaper drum after each pass. All the plastics are troublesome, but Lucite is especially bad. Cutting and sanding it creates a lot of hard, messy, clingy, pellet-like dust that will clog up the works quickly. Just enough to throw you off, especially on those 45 degree angle cuts.

Last edited:

wizard

Amazing!!

Eric, You are unbelievable...That is an absolutely a beautiful piece of art !!!
Doc:)

Edit: I'm looking at it again and marvel at the planning involved in making that pen and you executed it flawlessly!!

Last edited:

Dustygoose

This is the most labor intenseive pen I have ever seen. The attention to detail is perfect. Beautiful (even in pink) I have a friend who just finished Chemo and she got the all clear from the Dr. I'm thinking of making her a pen

Gilrock

Wow...that's my first time seeing either pen. I don't always catch all the posts but it caught my eye in the Latest Photos section and I said...Holy smokes I gotta find out where those pens were posted. Awesome work!

PenMan1

Now I know why you haven't been posting much. You've been WORKING....and man it's paying off! I didn't think there was much way to improve on your original. I was wrong!

Nicely done, amigo!

booney0717

All i can think to say is WOW! Oh yea and thanks, My daughter just walked in and wants me to do one for her. Dang i just started turning in Feburary!!!!!

PR_Princess

Outstanding work Eric (as always!!) :biggrin:

Not sure which version I like better...They are both simply amazing! You do have a masters touch! I cant wait to see what you come up with for the next variation. Will you post all three together?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great on the front page :biggrin:

It's been a couple years since that first one was the featured pen. This one deserves that spot as well. Eric, thanks for sharing some of your techniques as well.

Kaspar

Looks great on the front page :biggrin:

Thanks, and thanks again to everyone for the comments.

Outstanding work Eric (as always!!) :biggrin:

Not sure which version I like better...They are both simply amazing! You do have a masters touch! I cant wait to see what you come up with for the next variation. Will you post all three together?

Sure. I may hold the Emperor Junior in reserve for that contest, which if I remember right, means I can't post it right away, but once I can, I'll do that.

wizard

Eric, Congratulations on the front page!!!:biggrin:..As I said you are amazing..I bought all the Byrnes machines...but LOL..it would take the rest of my life to master what you did with that pen.
I just wanted you to know that I really admire your work and your exacting attention to detail!! It's an inspiration. Regards, Doc:)

Andrew_K99

Great job on the pens! Although, I think you lost you man card working on that pink one :tongue:

My head hurts from trying to figure out how many segments there are and how you might have done it. :hypnotized:

cnirenberg

Eric,
I missed this. I haven't a clue how though. It is just stellar. I'm not a fan of pink, BUT this design works fantastic. I love the color combo and segmented variations it it. What a great looking pen. PS congrats on the front page, it is well deserving.

Kaspar

Was wondering....what kind of time(hours/days) do you have in one of these?

I said 20 hours earlier in the thread, but there a few things I forgot to take into account so really, it was closer to 25 hours. But I learned a couple of new tricks so such time is never wasted. What was it GK Chesterton said? "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered."

Great job on the pens! Although, I think you lost you man card working on that pink one :tongue:

That's okay. I got paid enough to buy a new one.

My head hurts from trying to figure out how many segments there are and how you might have done it. :hypnotized:

If I remember right there's 72. Let's see: the zebra blank is halved, and each half is quartered (8), 16 scallop pieces with 16 veneer pieces (32), eight straight line pieces with 2 veneers per (24), a veneer piece at each end of each pen section (4), an accent piece at each end of the pen (2), a thick veneer piece to match the thick black band on the Sedona cap finial (1), and a centerband piece (1): total = 72 It would be interesting to figure out how much, of all the blanks used, is left once the pen is turned down. I suppose one could calculate it by weight. My guess would be 2 or 3%, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it's less than 1%

It is just stellar. I'm not a fan of pink,

Thanks! I'm not a fan of pink either. I would never have done this, were it not a commission. However, I do think it works pretty well. I just wish we could have found a pink that was slightly more hot pink, and had some veining or pearlesence or some other "interest." Maybe PR PRincess could make a hot-but not too hot- pink.

Thanks again everybody!

InvisibleMan

Can't believe I missed this somehow! Love, love, love it. I'm amazed.

SWMBO will never see it. No offense. That's an "MBO" I'm just not willing to take on:biggrin:.

angboy

Wow, amazing! Since becoming mroe of a fan of pink after being diagnosed with breast cancer, I can really appreciate this pen even more than usual.

chugbug

HI Kaspar-- that's just breath-taking! Don't know what else to say. My jaw is on the floor! That must have taken weeks to prepare!

Can't wait to see the next one!!

JEB

JEB's PENs
www.jebspens.com
Hand-turned Pens / Pencils
Custom Fountain Pens

Top Bottom