Thedoctorb's Primary Manipulation Zen Pen..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Brantley (Thedoctorb), my son, age 13, made his second pen ...to give to his friend for Valentine's Day. Made from a rod of extremely funky and colorful Alumilite resin called Primary Manipulation from Jonathan Brooks. Aside from showing him how to drill the blank and help him take pictures with my iPhone...he did it on his own. When I told him about posting it on IAP....he asked me to post it...I think he was a little intimidated.

Anyway, It is so much fun watching him grow up.....:)

Doc

Attachments

• Brantley's Zen 1.jpg
    Brantley's Zen 1.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 515
  • Brantley's Zen 2.jpg
    Brantley's Zen 2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Brantley's Zen 3.jpg
    Brantley's Zen 3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 298
  • Brantley's Zen 4.jpg
    Brantley's Zen 4.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Wow that is a great looking blank and he turned it in a stunning pen. Great fit and finish. So tell us how many pens has he really made.

wizard

LOL...Dan...the question you should ask is how many of those blanks, extra tubes and about the two kits that were utilized in the making of the "second pen". :wink:

Wow that is a great looking blank and he turned it in a stunning pen. Great fit and finish. So tell us how many pens has he really made.

Ambidex

Brantley (Thedoctorb), my son, age 13, made his second pen ...to give to his friend for Valentine's Day. Made from a rod of extremely funky and colorful Alumilite resin called Primary Manipulation from Jonathan Brooks. Aside from showing him how to drill the blank and help him take pictures with my iPhone...he did it on his own. When I told him about posting it on IAP....he asked me to post it...I think he was a little intimidated.

Doc

Is he going to post in the beginners contest?...That may have been an awesome entry..very,very nice pen!!

wizard

Doc

Is he going to post in the beginners contest?...That may have been an awesome entry..very,very nice pen!!

George, That was the plan... but it came down to an IAP contest or his "friend". Well his "friend" is an extremely pretty classmate named Maddie who asked him to be her boyfriend.... so "Gift for Maddie by Valentine's Day" was the only contest he wanted to enter. LOL..Next time he is posting his own pen. Regards, Doc:)

What a great instructor you have Brantley!! Beautiful coaching job Doc...what color did you use to reverse?

LOL...Jim..I think it may be reverse painted...not sure though you could call it that and I'm not sure coaching was the term that came to his mind.
...After going through 3 1/2 of Jonathan's 9" alumilite rods of, three replacement tubes, using white or black Ceramcoat that dad recommended it came down to "you just put the tube in a bottle of black paint then put thick super glue on top of that and just push it into the blank". I was really tired with little or no sleep the preceding two days..so it sounded good to me too. He finished it at 7:15 in the morning before school started, had me take pictures with a phone..put it in a box that Dawn had sent....and off he went. LOL..He did come by my office later that afternoon and between patients, gave me a hug, thanked me and told me that Maddie loved it.
He will be back from a sleepover this morning. I'm supposed to watch him work on a blank today that Roy sent him...

Jim..The time that I get to spend with him is precious. When I see him grow and miss important moments in his life...I have regrets about being a physician....Sorry, I'm rambling.:redface:..the house is quiet and about to go to the shop ...feeling reflective this morning. Need coffee. :rolleyes:
Regards,
Doc:)

Buzzzz4

George, That was the plan... but it came down to an IAP contest or his "friend". Well his "friend" is an extremely pretty classmate named Maddie who asked him to be her boyfriend.... so "Gift for Maddie by Valentine's Day" was the only contest he wanted to enter. LOL..Next time he is posting his own pen. Regards, Doc:)

Lucky boy! Sounds like he is already getting his priorities straight.

Jim..The time that I get to spend with him is precious. When I see him grow and miss important moments in his life...I have regrets about being a physician....Sorry, I'm rambling.:redface:..the house is quiet and about to go to the shop ...feeling reflective this morning. Need coffee. :rolleyes:
Regards,
Doc:)

Great reminder. Thank you, Doc. I was looking at a job that would take me away more. WE need to remember we are here for family and relationships. Gorgeous pen the young lady will love!

OZturner

Brantley, What a fantastic Job,
The Blank is Spectacular,
The Fit and Finish is Superb,
You don't need to be shy, when you can produce a Pen like that.
Shout it from the Roof Tops!
Congratulation.
Brian.

tgsean

That is so well done. Congrats to your son, its fantastic when the children get interested. My son too has made more pens, and he has entered one for the competition too

Thedoctorb

Thank you everyone! I have been busy with schoolwork, but I will be more active on here. I am going to try to make a pen soon. Thank you for all the support!

Rick_G

He did a great job on the pen. I find it really hard to believe that you had to help him take pictures with your I phone though. In my case the 13 year old would be showing me how to take the pictures.:biggrin:

Top Bottom