Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
2006101215347_bogoaknet.jpg

First, I thank Lou for the Bog Oak!!!

Then, he was kind enough to help eliminate the "white streaks" that I kept developing.

So, finally, I have a bog oak, with which I am pleased.

This is done with sanding sealer, several coats and sanding in between each application (AND adequate time for each to dry, outside of my wet basement!!)

The result is exactly what I am looking for - it is not "plasticized wood", you can feel a little grain, you can see a little grain - JUST LIKE REAL WOOD!!! But, it feels very smooth to the touch.

The pic is not the best, but I wanted to post before the show this weekend, in case I don't have it after the show!! (We are scheduled to leave tomorrow-of course they are predicting high winds, so my 18' trailer will be banned from the interstate, making our 70 mile trip SEEM endless!)

Again, Thank-you, Lou.

Comments invited! (Remember, I AM a plastic guy, so don't expect a whole lot when I attempt wood)[:I][:I][:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

SWEET! I HATE those darn white streaks in the bog oak! Congrats on your successful turning, and on a very attractive pen!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After re-reading, I should add that there are a couple of coats of spray lacquer on the pen, as well. But, the real "trick" was continuing with sanding sealer until I had the result I wanted. The lacquer (3 coats, I think) just seals it all in.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Had a few more minutes and I could hear Eagle saying, "I can't see the wood!!!" So, here's the wood.

Now, Eagle will feel better! (Lord knows we don't need a sick bird on the site!)

2006101217724_bogoakclosenet.jpg

The "pits" are reflecting light, making them look white, but in person, they just appear to be "oak grain".

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
And just that fast...BAM!...the student surpasses the teacher. Magnificent job, Ed! (Now can we get Dawn to take a picture? [8D])

TBone

Ed, I was just about to post a question about a purpleheart cigar I was turning when I read this. I put it into the sun to "purple" up. Just went to check duing my lunch hour and now I have white streaks in the grain. I tried to seal it with CA and sawdust and I'm wondering if I only got CA and not enough dust. Not sure if this is normal for purpleheart. I think I'll try your/Lou's method. What kind of sanding sealer did you use and did you apply or let blank soak?
Thanks

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tommy,

Lou suggested I use sanding sealer until I was happy with the result (at least that's what I HEARD, don't know for sure what he SAID).

I use cellulose sanding sealer (Behlen's?). Put on with sponge first few coats, sanding between each one to about 1000 grit, BLOW OFF DUST, CHECK CAREFULLY FOR REMAINING DUST THAT MIGHT APPEAR WHITE, GET IT OUT! Then continue. Last couple of sanding sealer coats were with a rag.

There came a point where it really looked good. So, I set it aside to dry (upstairs, where the humidity is low) for a few days, then sprayed with lacquer, 3-4 coats. Again, letting each one dry a few days in between and sanding up to about 1000 each time. Last coat I also sanded, but all the way through MM. Then, buffed with a soft cloth.

Then, applied a coat of TSW (you'll never guess where I got that!), buff with rag, let sit overnight, do same next night and voila!

Total time about a month. BUT, Bog oak and the "story" that I sell with it, do quite well for me. So, it is worth it.

Hope this can be translated to purple heart. Honestly, however, I would not spend nearly this amount of time on a purpleheart pen (PERSONAL OPINION, NOT looking for an argument!!!) Good luck to you.[:)][:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
How did Lou get a hold of Acrylic Bog oak?[:D][}:)]
(Does a heart attack constitute "sick"?
Great Job My Friend.
Just wondering, when was the last time(if any) you posted a picture of a pen made out of wood?)[:D][:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />Just wondering, when was the last time(if any) you posted a picture of a pen made out of wood?)[:D][:D]

I nearly called this my first post (out of wood). But, I am not sure. For one, I posted the Flag pen (Kalenshaan) and I MAY have posted a pic of a desert ironwood that I have among my computer pics.

But, you're right, it IS a RARE occurrence.

COULD YOU SEE THE WOOD, OK?????

TBone

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Then, applied a coat of TSW (you'll never guess where I got that!),
Even I can figure that one out. I was too late to penturning to experience this miracle elixir. I've tried about 5 places that were listed in the forum but all are bone dry [:(].....or at least that's their story to me. I keep hoping that one day the wax wizard will visit us with another supply [;)]

Total time about a month. BUT, Bog oak and the "story" that I sell with it, do quite well for me. So, it is worth it.

Hope this can be translated to purple heart. Honestly, however, I would not spend nearly this amount of time on a purpleheart pen (PERSONAL OPINION, NOT looking for an argument!!!) Good luck to you.[:)][:)]
I'm trying purpleheart for two reasons. 1-I'm a newbie (4th pen) and found some on ebay cheap. 2-I'm hoping to make a segmented one with some yellow heart, osage orange or canary wood. As you can see by the flag below, purple and gold go well together [:D][:D]

Your BOG oak looks fantastic, hope it sells. But then you'll have to make one for yourself.

Thanks for the info

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tommy,

THose are DARN good reasons!!! Good luck.

Oh, and I have about 60 pens already (all past "failures"), I don't need a bog oak, but thanks for thinking about me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom