Thanks karlkuehn, igran7 and bitshird

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from THarvey

THarvey

I purchased this karlkuehn "fractured" blank from igran7 a few months back.

It fought me all the way to the lathe. Between the bandsaw and the drill press, it tried to escape by jumping to the concret floor. Broke a big chunk off one end. Drilled the blank off center to try to avoid the break. Glued the chunk back in place, then turned.

Did I mention that I drilled the blank off center? That is where bitshird comes into the story. My woodchuck was the perfect rescue tool, to round this blank. The carbide tool sheared the pen to a near finish size, so my skew could cut more smoothly.

LOML choose the chrome hardware. I think she made the best choice. These are two sides of the same pen.

BTW: The break was near the nib. Is it too noticible?

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques welcome.

Attachments

• KK Blank - View 1.jpg
    KK Blank - View 1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 375
  • KK Blank - View 2.jpg
    KK Blank - View 2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

igran7

Very nice Tim. I'm glad you put the blank to good use. I wish Karl was still around to supply us with outrageous blanks. I have about 25 Karl kuhen blanks left, I'm just waiting for that special tome to use some of them.

bitshird

Tim glad to hear my Woodchuck was of some help, (what's a Skew for)? :confused: I do miss Karl's blanks, he sure had a talent for making some beautiful acrylics, as witnessed by this pen.
Nice Job!!!

Top Bottom