With thanks to BigRob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russianwolf

Russianwolf

Here is a piece of Ginkgo that I got from Big Rob for a commissioned piece. It is a Chrome Single bodied closed end slimline with a spray lacquer finish (a first for me). I may give it a couple more coats. I showed it to the client last nice and she is very please with it as is. ( the wood has a sentimental meaning to the couple)

Attachments

• Ginkgo.jpg
    Ginkgo.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 347
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

it got even more boring when I bored a hole in the blank :tongue:

Yep, it's pretty plain. But it's the significance of the wood that they were after. I don't know, maybe one of the fell out of a ginkgo tree on top of the other when they met. :biggrin: Go figure.

PenAffair

Well, I actually like the simplicity.

With pens it can get a bit like "here's a nice burl", "Here's another burl", "look at this burl". So in amongst a group of "nice" pens, a piece of plain wood like this, would actually stand out as the exception, and the lightness of the wood and lack of figure actually makes it different to most woods.

Well done either way, and as stated, nicely finished.

Russell.

ldb2000

I think Russell said it best and I totaly agree .
Awesome looking pen Mike .
How did you glue in the top tube without making a mess of the bottom of the hole ?

Russianwolf

I use the depth gauge on my calipers. Extend it out to the proper length and put a think trail of glue on one side about an inch long. slide it in being careful to keep the glue from touching anything then smear it around at the proper depth. Then seat the tube and wait a while before testing it. I've used this method successfully with both GG and Thick CA.

Top Bottom