Thank you, Gary Max

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm fortunate to have many friends on this forum. One, Gary, has some unique wood and sent me an email asking if I was interested. I'm never one to pass up something unique so we put together a little trade. This is the result. Cedar burl.

2005842951_CedarBurl.jpg

Another view of this incredible piece of wood.
20058421041_CedarBurlView3.jpg

Thank you for looking. Feel free to comment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Very nice, Lou! Is the finish as flat as it looks, or is it just the lighting? Don't get me wrong, I sometimes like and use a flatter finish. I'm just curious.

PenWorks

Very striking pen Lou, good job. Must be that Kentucky water, because Gary comes up with the best looking cedar I have seen.

Czarcastic

That is a great looking piece of wood, and a terrific looking pen! I know a lot of people like the high-gloss "layer of glass" look on their pens (it sells well), but sometimes - when the wood is right - it just looks and feels better with a more natural finish.

This is an awesome example of that.

Looks like the "fit" at the joints on this pen are near perfect... fitting for this gorgeous piece of cedar.

Masterfully done, Lou.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for the kind words. Billy--the finish is much glossier, although I did knock it down just a tad from my normal. I changed my photo setup and am having a hard time replicating the old set up. PastorBill--this is the Ligero which is a large pen, comparable to the El Grande and just a tiny bit smaller than the Gentleman and Statesman.

BTW, I drilled these blanks at 2000 rpm, even though they are 31/64 and 17/32...it just works better for me to drill at breakneck speeds.

Gary Max

Lou you did a outstanding job of bringing that blank to life.
The kit you used really makes the grain stand out.
Thanks for emailing me and letting me know this post was up and running---we are doing a show right now and I am sitting out in the heat - 14 hours a day. Just about medium well after two days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom