Thank you Dawn!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

So I turned an Ancient Mars blank this morning from exotic blanks. I LOVE this blank. Someday I hope my blanks look 1/2 as good as Dawn's. I used some bl nickle tubes I had. This is on a gold Sedona from WC. I even buffed it for a change. When I was done I was just loving how nice this looked. I almost took for my personal collection, but think I will put it in my stock. I took the pictures out on the back porch which I think turned out good. It reminds me if I want something spectacular and easy to turn, I need to get something from exotics. Thanks for taking a look and comments welcome.

marssedona.jpg marssedona2.jpg marssedona3.jpg marssedona4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
So I turned an Ancient Mars blank this morning from exotic blanks. I LOVE this blank.
Hi Todd; Me too! Did you paint the tubes? and if so what colour?

I turned a Triton FP a couple of weeks ago from an Ancient Mars blank. I have no idea what colour I painted the tube or if I even did.

The reason I ask: I have another Ancient Mars blank cut and drilled for a Triton RB, and am not certain what colour to paint the tubes if any!

ToddMR

Mark, I used some Black Nickel tubes I bought at WC a while back and did not paint the tubes at all.

JohnU

Looks great Todd! That's one of my all time fav's also, next to her alchemy, merlon's magic, and pretty much any blank she makes.

Dan_F

Great result!

For those wondering about reverse painting, I did a few experiments, and found that for an El Grande style pen, it is mandatory that you reverse paint the blank, there is just too little material left to not do so. I had the best result by using a copper metallic color. I first tried blue, but since the copper coloring of the blank is the most translucent, it would turn a grayish cast, with the blue showing through the copper orange. Copper under the blue didn't suffer the same fate, the blue being more opaque. White paint made the copper too garish and one dimensional. You can see my example here, though the photo didn't capture much of the 3D effect in the copper parts. : http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80054&highlight=ancient

Dan

Last edited:
Top Bottom