Thank you Dario,Texas Mt. Laruel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

Recived this from Dario along with some for worthless wood blanks for me to make.Just wish I took better pictures as this is one of the nices pens I'ver ever made, the color is fantastic and was a joy to turn. As always all comments welcome good,bad and ????.All 3 pictures are the same pen the last is the back side.

20082243826_1.jpg

200822442659_1.jpg

20082243951_3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN

Just wish I took better pictures

I know the pen would look a lot better in person than the pics showed. It is among my favorite wood and I thank Curtis for introducing it to us. I just wish there is more of it to go around.

Good job!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Good looking pen, Roy. My favorite wood!

Johnnie, Tx. Mt. Laurel is NO relation whatsoever to Mt. Laurel in other parts of the country. Our Mt. Laurel belongs to the Leguminosae family, the same family as Desert Ironwood and is also an "Ironwood" in that it also does not float.

Here is a pretty good article about Tx. Mt. Laurel, also known as Mescalbean, Frijolito, Coral Bean, and Big Drunk Bean! BTW, the bean itself is very toxic. Suposedly one bean, if cracked open and eaten, will kill an adult human!

Sorry for the sidetrack, Roy. Just thought you guys might like to know a little more about the tree itself.

Dario

Originally posted by MesquiteMan

Good looking pen, Roy. My favorite wood!

Johnnie, Tx. Mt. Laurel is NO relation whatsoever to Mt. Laurel in other parts of the country. Our Mt. Laurel belongs to the Leguminosae family, the same family as Desert Ironwood and is also an "Ironwood" in that it also does not float.

Here is a pretty good article about Tx. Mt. Laurel, also known as Mescalbean, Frijolito, Coral Bean, and Big Drunk Bean! BTW, the bean itself is very toxic. Suposedly one bean, if cracked open and eaten, will kill an adult human!

Sorry for the sidetrack, Roy. Just thought you guys might like to know a little more about the tree itself.

I haven't checked but TX Mt Laurel share a lot of similarities with Lignum Vitae. Maybe they are related?

They have similar leaves, bark, flower (even the blue color), pods, etc.

Top Bottom