Texas Mountain Laurel on Jr. Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jedgerton

jedgerton

All,

This Jr. Gent features one of the Texas Mountain Laurel blanks I got from Dario. I'm not 100% in love with the photo but the character in this wood is outstanding!

Let me know what you think!

100B1240.JPG

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryankelley

very nice pen. also nice pic what camera are you using?
I am looking for a good one and what ever you used shows off the work you did very nicely.

Josh Gertz

Are you using something to "mellow" out the light?

It looks like the light may be too close, looks like its coming from the left side of the pen and giving a bit too much glare.

The pen looks gorgeous.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Beautiful pen. I like the wood. I didn't know Laurel was that colorful.

It is not. Texas Mt. Laurel, also know as Mescalbean, is NO relation whatsoever to Mt. Laurel. Mt. Laurel in other parts of the country are in the Ericaceae family. Tx Mt. Laurel is in the Fabaceae family.

Nice looking pen, BTW!

jedgerton

very nice pen. also nice pic what camera are you using?
I am looking for a good one and what ever you used shows off the work you did very nicely.

I'm using a Kodak P880 which is a "semi pro" digital camera but I emphasize the "semi" here. It's no longer available nor would I particularly recommend it. I think the key is to look for a camera that will allow you to alter as many settings as possible (even down to full manual mode).

To get this photo, I underexposed to -2eV and even that isn't enough. I think the comments about the lighting from the left being too bright or harsh are good ones that I'll adjust to hopefully improve.

Being able to control the settings allows you to chose a high f-stop (small aperature) and the required low shutter speed to extend the depth of field. I also use macro focus and a 5 way bracketing from which I almost always use the -2ev exposure.

I need to work on the lighting and I appreciate the tips found here.

John

jedgerton

The finish is CA. Its very glossy but in the picture it's hard to see that feature. I don't know why the photos don't pick up the glossy surface so I guess I have another challenge to work on!

John

Top Bottom