Testing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker

This is a blank I glued up, just maple and walnut strips, nothing special. I wanted to see what happened if I mixed dye with the glue. It turned out the way I expected, but not the way I had hoped. The blue line isn't very prominent not to mention the glue seeps into the grain making it spotty. Maybe next time I will try it with blue construction paper, or get some blue dyed veneer instead.

This was also a test piece for my first attempt at a CA finish. Although there are some scratches in it, it turned out nicely. I can see why everyone does it, it is a nice hard finish. This is only 3 coats of thin.

Blank_1a.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Simsonicole

Nice! I have a Beale Pen Wizard...have the same problem when I turn up the pen then do an infill with the acrylic & colour pigments. I have learnt to seal the wood first in a coat of thin superglue. Maybe that would work? I love your turn...it is very unique :)

Jolly Red

Paper joints are used for split turnings, since the come apart fairly easily. I think that might happen when the parts are pressed in and cause the tube to expand. Just my thought, for what it's worth.

BeeAMaker

Never thought about the joint coming apart. You guys are probably correct, the paper would not hold up. However, letting CA soak in might help that, but I think colored veneer would be best.

Skie_M

Mmmm .... use colored epoxy if you're gonna stave your blanks ... gorilla glue would be ideal if it weren't for the visible yellow coloration, and it'll foam, which might leave tiny pockmarks.

Another option would be to use the construction paper or veneer idea and epoxy for the glue. Compressed epoxy soaked paper, cloth, and other similar media is called "Micarta". Use dust collection and a dust mask while turning .... the epoxy dust can be quite hazardous.

Top Bottom