Test Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VirgilJ

VirgilJ

I am one of the many CA challenged pen turners. I can't seem to consistently put a CA finish on a pen. One pen looks great and the next looks like something I stepped in at the dog park. For the last three months I've been trying out some of the hundreds of methods others have posted on the IAP. Up to this point I've just been using test blanks.

I finally settled on a method that is sort of a combination of methods others use. It's nothing earth shattering, but it gives good results and is simple enough that I can get it right repeatedly. Last night I decided it was time to try a test pen using this method. This is how it turned out.

Attachments

• Test Pen.jpg
    Test Pen.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 346
  • Test Pen 2.jpg
    Test Pen 2.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Virgil; It look like in the land of sunshine What has been the humanity been like then you did you CA-ing of pens. The less amount of air moisture the better the finish.

VirgilJ

RKB
Surely, I made a post in the Finishing section that explains what I do and has a few pics of some test blanks.

AVBILL

Actually the weather has been pretty mild and the humidity is going down. It's winter in Florida. The highs are in the low 80s and it's been dry.

Charlie
I posted another pick that shows the gloss a bit better.

Last edited:

Talfalfa33

I too was a CA challenged turner until I found a video by wood wimbsies that explains a good way to apply CA. Three coats of thin and three coats of thick. Then micro mesh dry from 1500-12000 and for a final of polish wheel. Since I've started following this process, not one failed finish or redo on the CA allocation.

StuartCovey

Looks great!
There are literally hundreds of ways of doing a CA finish, but finding the one that works for you every time is the hardest part. I don't think anyone can just follow what someone else does and get the same results!
That said I think you found the one.

Good luck on your future pens!

Top Bottom