Tell of two cedars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kinggabby

kinggabby

Two pens I just turned. One is Texas Cedar ( left ) the other is Red Cedar ( right ) both BLO/CA finish polished up with Plastix. What ya think?

Attachments

• cedar 001.jpg
    cedar 001.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 181
  • cedar 003.jpg
    cedar 003.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 177
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

The pens look pretty good, but we've still got to work on your photos... You either need more light when taking the pic or you need to edit the photos after taking them.

Your finishes are getting more consistent I think, but it still seems like you are leaving the wood a little proud of the bushings. One thing to keep in mind is the way a pen feels in your hand... Having a sharp edge at the junction of tube and hardware generally doesn't feel as good as a smooth, seamless transition.

I hope you know I'm not picking on you... You've made great progress in such a short time. I'm only trying to help.:biggrin:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Those look pretty good, David. Where did you get the kits? I don't recognize the plating on the first. Is it PSI's red?

My photos aren't great - but I use the photo adjusting setup in my Microsoft windows programs - or Adobe Photo Elements, depending on computer. It isn't that hard to balance the lighting.

As far as being "proud" of the bushings, you can see how a bit of the wood shows above the pen parts - center band and nib.

I have to tell you, though . . . I really love the design and grip work in the first pen! It looks great!

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
The light in the second photo is a great improvement over the earlier photos. The detail is much easier to see. Your finish has improved also. Good job all around.

Top Bottom