tell me what you think

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkHix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Looks better than the fifth pen I made!

Give the CA finish some time, I did nearly a dozen or so before I started seeing what I and others considered a decent finish.

George

Rifleman1776

Can't find anything to fault with that. But, as you say, the finish rates only an 'OK', not yet a 'great'. My finishes improved when I stopped being stubborn and rushing the process. I now go through all grades of Micro Mesh and lengthwise sand with each grade. My standard finish is Deft spray laquer. I will use CA on occasion but it is not my favorite.

guts

I think it looks pretty good for your # 5 pen,like George said it takes time to get the ca finish down pat,just keep working at it,from the looks of the pen you'll be there before you know it.

ok, you asked for it! I think yo did a fine job for your fifth pen. I think I did 10 slims before attempting something bigger, but the euro came way later. So the fit at the cb is close enough that many purchasers wouldnt notice. The fit at the point seems a bit overturned, but not for certain, so that is good. I think the kit would look better with resin material, I would use gold with bocote and cocobolo. But let me say this about that. It probably took me 10-15 pens to get the overall quality to where you are in 5, so be proud of your achievement.

MarkHix

Glenn, I appreciate the comments. That is why I posted it. When you say the point is overturned, do you mean too thin? When I run my finger over the joint, I do not feel a transition. Some of the earlier ones I can feel it so I think that that is what you mean. I actually did 2. The second one is in gold and finished in tung oil. I did not post the photos of it. You did not elaborate on the fit at the cb. I have alot of ca on my skin so I think I can take it. What about the kit choice itself? Would a different kit have shown the wood better? I chose the euro kits for practice because they were a little more interesting than the slims and only a little more in price.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom