Telesto with a twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is one of my Telesto pens with a little something extra . It is made of some homebrew white pearl PR on an aluminum core with brass parts . It's finial operated and uses a parker type refill .
I'm playing with the design a little by adding the beaded center/finial band and adding a little more shape to the body . To make it a little interesting I've added some of my Blue-Glo powder to the PR mix . It's invisible under normal light but glows a nice blue color . I think the overall pen has a certain elegance to it . These are one of my favorite pens to build .

1_glotelesto.jpg

2_glotelesto3.jpg

As always , comments are welcome .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

That is sweeet!! How long does it glow like that. I got some blue and green glow powder that is invisible in daylight too. All I need now is to get the supplies for casting.

akbar24601

Butch, that is Rockin'!!! You are the Kitless King! I love the glow in the dark aspect!!!

The whole pen is very nice looking, very elegant. Keep up the great work!

mickr

as usual, your work is always inspirational..I'm not a great fan of the glow in the dark aspect, but I do misplace things alot..so maybe the concept will grow on me if I carry a flashlight with me to find stuff..now where are my glasses, again?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very nice work there Butch:wink: I'm still not a massive fan of the blunt nib but the clip is VERY impressive:eek:. Well done:biggrin:

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everyone . This style pen is my answer to the Sierras , it's about the same size but is finial operated which I like better , it allows me to show off more of the blank then the Sierra does . These pens are one of my favorites to make because they are easy to make and are the basis for several of my kitless designs . The hardest part is making the clip . I tried several designs for the clip and this one is the best I have come up with so far . It is made from some .032" brass sheet stock which I have found to be the most durable material to use for clips , it's thin enough to flex without bending and thick enough to keep it's shape even under daily use .
The glow in the dark part was just an experiment with a new powder which is supposed to glow a little longer and stay in suspension in the PR a little better , the stuff I was using had to be mixed constantly till the PR gels or it all settles to the bottom very quickly , this stuff allows me to get some swirls and keep them .
Ok to answer some questions :
John , I use single twist cigar transmissions which I buy in bulk and is press fit into the core tube . I like these transmissions because they are very durable and allow the use of a parker type refill .
Skippy , I have a Twindows on the drawing board which will have a longer and more tapered nib assy which you might like better .
Jeff , yes I am trying to make these look abit more fancy . The Telesto is loosely based on a Polaris style pen and the Calypso is based on the Longwood design but with a little more heft to it .
Cris , as explained above the clip is hand made from some .032" brass sheet stock .
Steve , Kitless King? , no , more like Court Jester but thanks .
Mike , the glow powder I get from a supplier that sells to the sign making industry . It is used in making emergency exit signs and such . It is industrial grade stuff and glows for much longer then the commercially available powders on the market .
James , the glow is very intense for the first 15 to 20 minutes then slowly fades , I find it has an acceptable brightness glow time of 2 to 3 hours but it will glow for 8 to 10 hours .

Last edited:
Top Bottom