Teaser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

Well, I hope to finish this pen up tomorrow, but I wanted to show off what was already done. There was a world-class pen maker who lived and died in my fair state. He was a frequent visitor to Woodzone in Columbia. He sold them some pen blanks that he had made. This is one of two that I was able to get. Comments welcome.

eaglecap.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Noah

Nice... Final product will be great looking...
Is that Pearl InLace around the cross...?
Ed

hewunch

Skip, the cap is done save adding the hardware. But you are right, I will be careful. As to what the material is, your guess is as good as mine.

OKLAHOMAN

Always happy to see one of his works of art. I have one blank of his left and one day I will turn it, maybe.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Always happy to see one of his works of art. I have one blank of his left and one day I will turn it, maybe.

Me too. Mrs Eagle sent me his last blank and it has prime spot in my display cabinet. I will never turn it though.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hans (and anyone else who may have one)!

I did the prototype of that blank. First time Eagle did resin, so he gave it to "the master (his term for me)". I drilled it carefully on the lathe, with my scroll chuck. Half went fine, BLEW UP the cross.

This is what motivated me to get a Beall collet. However, I think the problem was heat as much as anything. My point is, it might be worth using Eagle's later suggestion: Wrap the blank in cheesecloth and douse it with CA, let sit for a couple days. THEN drill.

I keep the "blown up" one on my bench. Reminder (of many things).

GOOD LUCK Hans!!!

fiferb

Very nice! I can't wait to see it in person. I still have 3 of Eagle's blanks on my bench. Every now and then I pick them up and look at them and I always show them to visitors. Maybe one day I'll get up the nerve to try and use one.

PR_Princess

I am glad that you were able to get two of the blanks that they had Hans!

But boy, this starts the memories flooding ....

I believe that you will find the blank body and inlay around the cross to be acryluster. (An Eagle favorite at the time.) The red cross is from my resin.
Here is a link to one that is similar.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f32/instant-gratification-11185/

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Eagle wasn't mentioned by name in the original post but I assume that is who we are talking about. I never met the man and the little time I read his posts here you just knew he was light-years ahead of us. He always was a thinker outside the box type person and his work still can't be duplicated. It is amazing. When he passed we all lost a true artisan that could teach so many by saying so little. His motto was never say you can't do it just try a little harder. I only wish my mind could think like his did.

I look forward to seeing this completed because it will be an honor we will enjoy for sure. The pressure is on. Take your time. Take your time. and then take some more time.

Tuba707

I only got to know Eagle right before he died. He was a great guy, and so talented...

Would be a tough call what to do with his blanks.

workinforwood

That is a beautiful blank Hans. Eagle made amazing blanks. It'll be a pen to be cherished forever. And Ed...if you broke the just the cross portion but the barrel is still in good shape, chances are good that I could repair that for you. This is a very basic design and concept, unlike most of his blanks..and not to take away from this one of course..heck..you know what I mean!

parnelli_97

I'm a little too new to turning to know any of Eagle's work, is there somewhere I can go to see stuff he's done? P.S. Beautiful blank, and beautiful finished product.

Top Bottom