Teal Box Elder Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

Just another pen but this particular "Teal" box elder burl from River Ridge just blew me away so I thought I'd share it. I like the brown eyes filled with teal color that are all over the blank. THose folks know how to stabalize a piece of wood!

20071115303_teal%20burl%20statesman.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Mikey
<br />I don't know what I like better, the pen or the awesome photograph quality.[:)]

Woohoo... awesome photography... I like that, thanks![:)]

Carl, look closer, that "Gent" is wearing his formal "Statesman" outfit![:D]

Last night, after posting this, I turned another of these blanks and it looked just as nice. And to think I've got 10 more of this color!

Amazing pen and it was a super choice for the kit, well done.[:)]

If I may, [;)] Can I make a comment on a way to improve your picture. I can see you are using a direct light, it gives a strong shadow cast when shot this way. I used to do the same so I am offering a few quick thoughts. I would offer that using a diffuser (white cloth) in front of your light source will soften the look. Adding a second light aslo dffused at a 45 deg angle to the first light will fill shadows under the pen, or even using a reflecting white card will help to fill those dark spaces.

This is a killer pen that I think you can show even better than it is with some lighting experiments...I hope you understand my comments are meant to help, not critsize.

[:)]

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />Amazing pen and it was a super choice for the kit, well done.[:)]

If I may, [;)] Can I make a comment on a way to improve your picture. I can see you are using a direct light, it gives a strong shadow cast when shot this way. I used to do the same so I am offering a few quick thoughts. I would offer that using a diffuser (white cloth) in front of your light source will soften the look. Adding a second light aslo dffused at a 45 deg angle to the first light will fill shadows under the pen, or even using a reflecting white card will help to fill those dark spaces.

This is a killer pen that I think you can show even better than it is with some lighting experiments...I hope you understand my comments are meant to help, not critsize.

[:)]
Me upset over someone trying to help me take photos... are you kidding? [:0] I can use all the help I can get.

I went out and bought one of those el-cheapo photo tents a while back (see photo) and the light you are referring too is the one on the left, and I have another on the right.

I have tried putting these little suckers all over, even directly overhead with no luck.

Where should I put the lights, or if in a good spot, should they be farther back or pointing upwards?

Let 'er rip, I'm all ears.[:D]
2007111518489_phototent.jpg
<br />

Thanks for taking my comments with grace[:)]

You have the lighting too close to the sides of the tent in my experience, also the pen is too far forward with respect to the position of the lights.

The lighting should be aimed into the sides of the tent but not directly across from the pen or the other light. I like to have my prime light source aimed at the exposed side of the pen, to highlight it's features. The second light is set farther away, less intense with the increased distance and at an angle of about 45 degree's to the pen. Sometimes I difuse even the second light to reduce the balance between the prime and the second light. I also use a reflector white card across the front of my tent.

If you move your lights and set the pen deeper into your tent so you have light falling on it from two angled sources then you will also see less contrast in your images.

I am glad to see you use a tripod and I am guessing you also use the self timer, Good Ideas. [;)]

It took me awhile to get some of my exposures right, no two pens photogragh the same way, but I document my methods and make notes and sometimes I get it right..[:D]

Test a few lighting set ups and keep the camera exposure the same, if I can use a clock analogy, put the pen at 12 O'clock, set one light 8 O'clock and the other at 4 O'Clock, place the one at 4 O' Clock about twice the distance away from the pen as the one at 8 O'Clock , then start taking pictures moving the 4 O'Clock light closer till you see what you like......and also take a piece of white refelctor, paper will work and angle it into the pen filling the shadows...if that works, great, if not , well I tried..[:eek:)]

These are just my methods, I am not a pro nor do I pretend to be one...[:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom