Teak From the USS North Carolina Battle Ship

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yort81

yort81

I recently purchased some Teak Decking that is being replaced on the USS North Carolina Battle Ship. I combined that with some 7075 Aluminum and came up with, what i think is a very handsome pen.

Attachments

• USS North Carolina #1.jpg
    USS North Carolina #1.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 247
  • USS North Carolina #2.jpg.jpg
    USS North Carolina #2.jpg.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 226
  • USS North Carolina #3.jpg.jpg
    USS North Carolina #3.jpg.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 187
  • USS North Carolina #4.jpg.jpg
    USS North Carolina #4.jpg.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 182
  • USS North Carolina #5.jpg.jpg
    USS North Carolina #5.jpg.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Beautiful pen Troy!!! I thought it was a kit pen at first! That is really sharp! Love the shape and the wood metal combo!

What is the purpose of the second trim ring at the bottom of the barrel? I would have just made the lower finial a little longer so you dont have the 2 pieces coming together. I had to look very closely to see the separation between the two, but could still see it. Was it so its like a kit pen and if you want you can disassemble it?

yort81

Hi Justin.... the first ring, at the end of the barrel is to cap the wood. So when you take off the end cap to place a new refill... the wood is not exposed and to protect the edge of the wood from damage. It is threaded and then a drop of red thread locker is applied to make it semi permanent.

What is not shown... is that there is a handmade brass screw on the butt end of the barrel to place tension on the refill.... no springs to lose!

Timebandit

Hi Justin.... the first ring, at the end of the barrel is to cap the wood. So when you take off the end cap to place a new refill... the wood is not exposed and to protect the edge of the wood from damage. It is threaded and then a drop of red thread locker is applied to make it semi permanent.

What is not shown... is that there is a handmade brass screw on the butt end of the barrel to place tension on the refill.... no springs to lose!

Gotcha. Like a kit pen. Replacing the refill, at least for me, is always done at the front section. It is threaded, so i use it to remove and replace the refill. That keeps it seamless at the bottom finial.

Can you explain the screw a bit more? A screw doesnt give any like a spring does for tension, it would just be a hard stop right? The spring is meant to give some so its not like writing with a rock.

yort81

Justin.... LOL.... I should have read your post a bit further, before i replied...

No..it's not a kit pen.. it's a custom/kitless
I made the components from 7075 aluminum
and Im trying to maximize the use of the metal... Im going to make some pens from bronze aluminum, brass, copper... and a long spine of 7075 aluminum will cut down on the use of the precious metals which cost considerably, a bit more.

as for being like a 'kit pen'... it was not my intentions... it is just easier for me to make the individual components, than to make it all one or two pieces... and I can use the components, mostly, for other designs that i may have. So.. there isnt any constant redesigning just for a new pen. :)

yort81

Justin, The back end of the barrel is threaded.. and I make a blunt ended screw that fits... it puts tension on the refill to hold it in place... as for feeling like writing with a rock.. hahaha... ive not noticed any difference between writing with a spring or with a screw as a tensioner :)

Timebandit

Justin.... LOL.... I should have read your post a bit further, before i replied...

No..it's not a kit pen.. it's a custom/kitless
I made the components from 7075 aluminum
and Im trying to maximize the use of the metal... Im going to make some pens from bronze aluminum, brass, copper... and a long spine of 7075 aluminum will cut down on the use of the precious metals which cost considerably, a bit more.

as for being like a 'kit pen'... it was not my intentions... it is just easier for me to make the individual components, than to make it all one or two pieces... and I can use the components, mostly, for other designs that i may have. So.. there isnt any constant redesigning just for a new pen. :)

I know its not a kit pen, just at first glance i thought it was, then i looked at all the pictures are realized you made it all. Looks much better than a kit though! I like it! You did great.

Can you explain the tension screw a bit as i am confused as to how it replaces the spring?

Edit: Answered, thanks. Just never done that before so i guess i dont know how it feels. But if thats the case, why even use a screw. The hole can be drilled to the prefect depth to just hold the refill in there nice and tight and then you dont have to deal with the screw.

Last edited:

yort81

Edit: Answered, thanks. Just never done that before so i guess i dont know how it feels. But if thats the case, why even use a screw. The hole can be drilled to the prefect depth to just hold the refill in there nice and tight and then you dont have to deal with the screw.[/quote]

Aweeee.... therein lies the conundrum.... Not every make of refill is the same size... thus the spring.... or the screw :) So if you are selling pens, Like I am... you have to account for the variables in the refills.

Timebandit

Aweeee.... therein lies the conundrum.... Not every make of refill is the same size... thus the spring.... or the screw :) So if you are selling pens, Like I am... you have to account for the variables in the refills.[/quote]

Gotcha. Didnt even think about that:eek: Nice job! So is the screw adjusted externally through the lower finial, or is this an internal adjustment screw inside the finial? Id like to see a pic of what youve done if you dont mind.

yort81

Sure Justin, The first photo shows the back end of the barrel, in the second... the end cap is unscrewed a bit, the third shows the screw inside the barrel and the end cap... and the 4th shows the endcap.. the screw.... and the barrel. It's actually a very simple design... and not even my own original idea... Im just not that imaginative.
Cheers

Attachments

• Number 1.jpg
    Number 1.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Number 2.jpg
    Number 2.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Number 3.jpg
    Number 3.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Number4.jpg
    Number4.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 96

yort81

Wow, I really like it. I'd buy the parts from you to make a pen but then I guess that makes it a kit pen for me and still kitless for you?? :wink:

Mike... thank you sir... no... lol.. im laughing... it would still be a kit pen to you! :tongue: I started custom/kitless pens because the cost of doing the quality kitless pens was just getting CRAZY expensive... and with the exception of the blank... everyone else had the same pen.... 4 moderately priced kit pens a month @ $30 was a $120 a month habit and i wanted to turn 4 times that many pens... now my pen expense is down to about $5 - $9 per pen... and they are all mine :)

Timebandit

Sure Justin, The first photo shows the back end of the barrel, in the second... the end cap is unscrewed a bit, the third shows the screw inside the barrel and the end cap... and the 4th shows the endcap.. the screw.... and the barrel. It's actually a very simple design... and not even my own original idea... Im just not that imaginative.
Cheers

Thanks Troy, i was thinking it was in the finial, but i guess is doesnt matter where it is. Looks like this design would lend well to making shorter pens, as you could have done without the lower finial and it still worked.

yort81

Cheers

Thanks Troy, i was thinking it was in the finial, but i guess is doesnt matter where it is. Looks like this design would lend well to making shorter pens, as you could have done without the lower finial and it still worked.

Hi Justin, YES!! Like i said... I have borrowed the idea from someone at another forum.. but yes... that was my thoughts exactly... the 'screw' lends itself to shorter AND longer pens :)

yort81

Justin, that is a really stunning pen, great job all around.

Hi Dan, Thanks :) Since you are retired Navy... did you notice that I mentioned the wood is Teak Decking from the USS North Carolina Battleship BB~55.. The most decorated ship in From WW2 .... The USS North Carolina Participated in every engagement in the Pacific Theater... Iwo Jima, the Marshall Islands, Guadalcanal, New Georgia Group, Gilbert Islands Operation, Okinawa And many many more. :) :) :)

Top Bottom