Teachers pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cherie

Cherie

First teachers pen. Have much to learn about these too!. The barrel in the middle ended up being too short or the end pieces ended up being too short, whatever happened it did not join together right. So i added two extra bands to help even it out. I really need to learn not to over sand the ends too. Well lessons learned once again. Anyways, it consists of Purple heart for the blue ink, pauduk for the red ink, and I segmented the purple heart and pauduk in the middle of oak.

Attachments

• P1160673.jpg
    P1160673.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 319
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JamesB

That's a nice looking pen. I wouldn't have thought of segmenting the middle part. I have 5 of those kits laying around here waiting their turn. Just have to figure out what to put on the ends.

Last edited:

ctubbs

Good job Cherie. I really like the segmenting you did, way kool! Your background is rather unique. My daughter and grand daughter are both teachers and I have been wondering about the teacher's pens. How do they feel in the hand? Would you mind sharing just what it is?
Charles

Cherie

Good job Cherie. I really like the segmenting you did, way kool! Your background is rather unique. My daughter and grand daughter are both teachers and I have been wondering about the teacher's pens. How do they feel in the hand? Would you mind sharing just what it is?
Charles

Charles, there is red and blue ink, one at each end. Feels kinda funny considering it is a longer pen, but it does not feel bad. I plan of giving this to our grandson's teacher. I told her I would make her one and she had no idea what it was and never heard of one. LOL

The background is an egg carton. lol

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Just offering this as help, you can choose to use or not. I would invest in a set of calipers so you can check the diameter of the barrel to the hardware.

JamesB

I'm curious as to how a piece ends up short. I always assume the tubes are the right size, so if the wood covers the tube it's all set. Could the tubes have been the wrong length?
If you need calipers, I bought the 6 piece measuring set from HF for cheap. It works great for me.

toddlajoie

I'll bet your tube lengths are fine. They certainly look fine to me. What often happens is the little caps that press on to the mini-refills (so they can thread into the transmission) need to be pressed in a LOT farther than seems natural, and takes just a little more pressure than some people are comfortable with at first (till they get used to how much it takes...)

I would pull the refills and see if you can press the thread caps in a lot farther. If you used the refill to measure how far to press the transmission in, you'll end up needing to press it in more now, as the refill will be effectively shorter. In my experience, there is quite a bit of play in the center tube, so it can be a good bit shorter. Not quite as short as a standard slim if I remember, but pretty close.

Cherie

I'll bet your tube lengths are fine. They certainly look fine to me. What often happens is the little caps that press on to the mini-refills (so they can thread into the transmission) need to be pressed in a LOT farther than seems natural, and takes just a little more pressure than some people are comfortable with at first (till they get used to how much it takes...)

I would pull the refills and see if you can press the thread caps in a lot farther. If you used the refill to measure how far to press the transmission in, you'll end up needing to press it in more now, as the refill will be effectively shorter. In my experience, there is quite a bit of play in the center tube, so it can be a good bit shorter. Not quite as short as a standard slim if I remember, but pretty close.

I actually ended up taking them apart several times just trying to get them to work right. I always check how far the pen tip comes out of the nib and no matter what I did, it did not work right.

Top Bottom