Teacher's Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JasonM

JasonM

After the Memorial Day festivities and a weekend of spring cleaning, I made my way to the shop to fill a pen order.

This teachers pen uses the PennState kit with Ebony, Dymondwood, and Cardinalwood for the segments.

Finish was to hit it with Danish Oil, then a simple HUT, white diamond, Carnuba friction polishing/waxing.

On a side note, this was my first attempt with this kit and when it came time for assembly, I had gaps on each end where the twist mechanisms were in as far as they would go and the segments were not yet in contact. I remedied it with additional decorative spacers. but it concerned me since I've bought several of these kits. Anyone else have such a problem with them? I was extra careful when squaring the ends, but I mustve milled too deep. I can't imagine the kit being that far off right out of the package....

Comments and critiques welcome. I'm still new to this site and always looking to learn more. Next weekend I hope to practice CA finishing. =)

Attachments

• TeachersPen.jpg
    TeachersPen.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gad5264

Jason,
Thanks for posting this as I have two of these to make by Friday morning. I like the additional detail on the center section and the choice of woods is great. Thanks also for the details on your fit-up problems. I bought my kits from WoodCraft and hope I don't have this problem.

Grant

mikegibs

You did a nice job on the pen! I've used/made teacher pens for my daughters teachers several times. I've used Penn's, Woodcraft's, and Craft Suppies' kits with only one pen that did not measure out correctly. One thing to check is to make sure your ink refills are pushed all the way in to the screw cap things before inserting into the transmissions.

Mike G.

Top Bottom