Taylor's first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This is my oldest grandson Taylor, Hes 12. He finally finished his first pen. Its been a long time in the making. I let him choose the colors and make the blank on the pen. He made the blank, did the drilling, gluing and turning for the pen. Its a PSI Euro kit with 8mm tubes.
tm2.JPG
tm1.JPG

He started his pen probably 6 months ago. We have worked on it as time permitted. He turned the upper blank first and its almost perfect. Great fit to the parts. The finish is smooth and glossy just as it should be. The lower blank.. well.. not so much. He got in a hurry at that point and over turned it. So I made him build it back up.
Build it up, sand it back down.
Oops a little to much. Do it again, and again, and again. He finally got the dimensions right but the finish is pretty rough. After about 50 tries I let him call it good enough for a first pen. We will chalk it up to experience and do better on the next one.
He of course is pretty happy about the whole thing. :)

Im just happy to spend time showing him other things to do besides tv and video games.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bhesson

Congratulations Taylor

Congrats to Taylor for sticking with the project until finished and to you Mike for teaching him the right way. Good job both of you.

longbeard

He looks thrilled to be posing for a pic :biggrin:
he looks proud and you should be too, but you know what you have started dont ya. :biggrin:

LL Woodworks

Good Job Taylor and Mike - Great times together. I've been trying to get my grand daughters to turn one. But they are smarter than me, they say why should I do it when "PaPa" does them all the time? O-well !! Again way to go.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Taylor has been the one that wanted to finish the pen. I have not pushed him in that respect. Either he wants to do it or he doesnt. When he wanted to work on it I made time to be there. I have one more set of blanks that was made by my oldest granddaughter also 12 that hasnt progressed past the drilling and gluing the tubes in. Taylors other grandparents give him everything. Read that as buy him everything. I dont even try and compete with that. I give him time and opportunity.

triw51

Taylor has been the one that wanted to finish the pen. I have not pushed him in that respect. Either he wants to do it or he doesnt. When he wanted to work on it I made time to be there. I have one more set of blanks that was made by my oldest granddaughter also 12 that hasnt progressed past the drilling and gluing the tubes in. Taylors other grandparents give him everything. Read that as buy him everything. I dont even try and compete with that. I give him time and opportunity.

Can I like this twice? So very true

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
The coolest part is making his blanks, not having a box full donated, taking his time, and using the same blanks to get it right. All at the age of 12. You and the young man are very fortunate. I think I see another artist here. Thanks for posting. BTW, he did good with the pen.

Haynie

He turned the upper blank first and its almost perfect. Great fit to the parts. The finish is smooth and glossy just as it should be. The lower blank.. well.. not so much. He got in a hurry at that point and over turned it. So I made him build it back up.
Build it up, sand it back down.
Oops a little to much. Do it again, and again, and again. He finally got the dimensions right but the finish is pretty rough. After about 50 tries I let him call it good enough for a first pen. We will chalk it up to experience and do better on the next one.

Good for you gramps. I try to teach my students that there is no "good enough". If it is good enough, there is room for improvement, and you have to know when to let them stop. If we let them choose when to stop it would be right after the first try.

Good looking pen. Tell him he has two things to be proud of. Sticking with it, and finishing the pen.

Top Bottom