Tasmanian eucalyptus burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wortmanb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

I've turned several pens from the Euca. Burl and love it. It's a good burl to fill voids on. I had one blow apart into a few pieces while I was drilling and was able to gather up the pieces and CA it back together and complete the pen with a failry large inlay area.

One thing...I'm not sure if it's a shadow in the photo or not, but it sort of looks like the pen didn't fully assemble. It looks as though your tubes may be protruding out past the wood leaving a small gap, (again could be a shadow). If this is the case, one thing I've started doing is once I get the blank round and the trimmed areas are cleaned up, I take the blank(s) off the lathe and use a very fine flat file to bring it all flush before finish turning.

I need to turn a few of these Sierra kits. They all look good.

wortmanb

One thing...I'm not sure if it's a shadow in the photo or not, but it sort of looks like the pen didn't fully assemble. It looks as though your tubes may be protruding out past the wood leaving a small gap, (again could be a shadow). If this is the case, one thing I've started doing is once I get the blank round and the trimmed areas are cleaned up, I take the blank(s) off the lathe and use a very fine flat file to bring it all flush before finish turning.

I need to turn a few of these Sierra kits. They all look good.

I'm looking into the sanding jig you mentioned earlier -- Charlie told me about making something like that by hand, but I was having trouble visualizing it and the hour drive to his place was just too long to be bothered. ;-)

But I'll give that pen a look and make sure I didn't miss something. Since I'm trying to sell these, I'd like them to be as close to perfect as I can get.

And I've grown quite fond of the Elegant Sierras, in black ti and satin chrome. They're quite stunning, and not at all plasticy.

Charlie_W

Hey Brett,
I was thinking about sending a pm but since it is out here, I shall speak here. I was going to say "Come on over sometime. We can look into that fit & finish".
I have an idea! :biggrin: send me your cell # or email and I will send a couple pics. How about that? After you get the pics, you can give me a call to explain the process.

yorkie

Been wanting to get my hands on some Tasmanian eucalyptus burl for a while now. Great job on the pen! How many coats of CA did you apply? thin or medium?

Top Bottom