Tasmanian Blackwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

A friend in OZ sent me a good size piece of Tasmanian Blackwood a few weeks ago. I sort of forgot about it since it looked pretty plain on the outside. I decided to see what it looked like turned and was really amazed. The photo doesn't show all the colors, green, red, tan, black and brown. CA finish on a chrome cigar.

200673131746_TasBlkwdCigar.jpg

Comments welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

Gerry, that is one nice looking pen. I really like the shape of it. I got rid of all of my cigar kits some time back because they were a very poor seller for me. I think i'll try a few more and "borrow" your design.

punkinn

Beautiful!! I love how the lines flow from the top barrel thru the bottom, it's very fluid. Did you visualize the finished shape while you were turning or did it just end up this way? Very, very nicely done.

Nancy

gerryr

Nancy,
I tried out the lower barrel shape, approximately, on a Havana BP about a week ago and decided that I liked it so I used it on this. I've been making the upper barrels on cigars basically this shape for quite a while. But, I think I might have left this one a bit fat, but it needs to go back to the lathe since there is a blemish in the finish that I can't tolerate, even if nobody else ever saw it. So, the upper will probbly get a bit thinner.

gerryr

Tasmanian Blackwood turns a lot like some of the softer tropical woods, like Goncalo Alves or Honduras Mahogany. It seems to scratch quite easily so you have to very careful with sanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom