Tape was harmed for this pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rfturner

Rfturner

This is a pen that I made from 1/32 in Black and white artist layout Tape. I wove the Checker pattern and did stripes on the top portion. It has been Cast in PR and I modified a Cigar kit by customizing a center Bushing from another kit. It has a very 3D look in person.

Attachments

• DSC00751[1] - Copy.JPG
    DSC00751[1] - Copy.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 530
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rfturner

It is one of the few Pens that I have a strong urge to keep for myself. I have made hundreds of pens and I have had only a few that I really wanted to keep. I know that I love to hold on to my pens but I also know that they aren't making money if they don't sell.:rolleyes:

SDB777

This design must have took you sometime to complete? You took tape and wove it!!! WOW!!!!! Then cast, then turned to a great finished product....amazed!

Scott (have a hard time tying my shoe) B

penmaker1967

very good looking pen ryan never thought of using tape before i want to try casting myself any info would be welcome on it

Rfturner

Great Looking Pen, I really like the center band is it from a Jr. Gent.

It is not from the Jr. Gent, it is from the PSI Funline Designer kit that I robbed the center band from and had to drill, turn and press in a piece of scrap wood.

Penmaker1967 said:
very good looking pen ryan never thought of using tape before i want to try casting myself any info would be welcome on it

Todd here is how I made this pen.
1. found a small container that I used as a jig to hold the white tape down. I taped the strips of white along the edge the container evenly spacing them.
2. I wove the black tape through the strips of the white. I used some aluminum wire to lift every other row to slide the tape in easier. This step is repeated till finished. This is easier said than done. I also continually slid the Black tape down to maintain the tight weave.
3. I coated the tape in Clear Packing tape but you can also use Mod Podge (use Sparingly or it will discolor the Black into a slight Bluish hue). trust me on this one.
4. cast in PR
5. turn down
6. Press in parts/make unique custom center band

The tape will most likely melt in Alumlite and other casting materials that get really hot.

Top Bottom