Tambootie Cigar? (Not Bubinga!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KKingery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Just a cigar style in Bubinga - I'm still not sure if I like the wood or not.

200521821817_Cigar%20Style%20in%20Bubinga.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheHeretic

I love the way Bubinga looks and that too, would surprise me to hear its Bubinga. one of my first Bubinga pens was Cigar with Black Titanium kit from BB. Beautiful pen.

The finish looks good from the photo in that it reflected such a large bright spot of light on it. Always a good sign. I tend to judge my finsih as done if I can see the two Flourescent bulbes as seperate lines in the finish when its on the lathe.

Good work.

Dean
Columbus OH

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Just a cigar style in Bubinga - I'm still not sure if I like the wood or not.

What did the shavings look like?i.e. the color of bubing reminds me of a pile of rust
I like the grain on that normally Bubinga is gretty porous,alomst "punky"
whatever it is looks PDG to me!

KKingery

Well, I'm no expert on wood - this piece came in the sample pack from CSUSA, and was numbered as Bubinga. Since I've never done any Bubinga, I really don't know if it is or is'nt - I'm just going with how they marked it.

KKingery

I just went out and looked again - The remaining piece from that sample bag is either a 3 or a 5. It's hard to tell! If that's the case, then this has to be either the Bubinga, or something called Tambooti. Good lord, I think i'll just stick to oak and walnut!

opfoto

I think it is a great looking pen. [:)] Maybe it's a cross-bred like Tambubingabootie!!! [:0] Wow just typing it was tough. Don't try saying it!!!

Randy

Ken
I find that tamboti is very oily and loads the sandpaper up very bad when you sand. I have even had to use acetone to remove some of the oil to continue sanding.

KKingery

Well, the only other pieces in that sample were Padauk, and Zebrawood. It's not either one of those, so I'm left with Bubinga or Tambootie. I do remember this loaded up my sandpaper a bit, but no more than any of the other oily woods I've turned so far. This may just end up a mystery!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It's a little tough to do a grain analysis but your picture is so good that it helps a lot. Based on picutes I have, it's definitely tambootie sapwood. The heartwood of tambootie is darker but still has the open grain of the sapwood. Bubinga is a tighter grain. You've done a beautiful job with it. If you have anymore of this or other more "plain" looking wood, consider getting some garnet shellac to seal it with. It will pop the grain and probably pop your eyes out (figuratively). [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom