Take a Guess.......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Well I sweated off about 10 lbs today workin in the shop. [8D] Now I'm packin up a few pens to do a 3 hour show at one of the local resorts. The resorts kinda of die in the summer here, so they are lookin for ways to drum up business. So every Saturday, they invite about 6 local artist to display their wares in the lobby and do a free wine taisting, 4-6 PM,(my turn tonight) then it's off to a great 10.00 BBQ at the Crazy horse saloon at the resort, then a movie by the pool. So hopefully, free wine, a good dinner and a free movie, some locals may just turn out. :)

Gettin back to my pen....I found this material at the pipe shop, they only had 1 stick of it. You really can't see the different shades of yellow/white streaks, but it is really pretty cool. So what do you think this material is ?? A couple of clues, I did not cast it and it is old....

I'll let you know after the movie....;)

2005716204140_DSC00859.jpg

I have shown this pen before, but I was tweaking the fit on the cap and broke the cap. So I took some of my new fat ebonite and made a pen stand, desk pen, final, vase or whatever you want to call it.
200571621011_green_deskpen.jpg

200571621148_DSC00877.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redbulldog

Anthony;
Good Luck with your show and the goodies. You have given me an idea, I could afford to lose some weight, today is 112 here, I guess I better stop using my cooler and just work in the garage, it just might work?

WoodChucker

Anthony, sounds like a fun night out, good luck and I hope you do good with the sales. The pen looks great but I don't have a clue as to what it is. But old and you didn't cast it really wasn't much to go on. [:D] The remake of the other pen is pretty cool, I like the looks of it, but how does it stand up without it falling over easily? Not trying to find fault with it, just curious how it stays up. [:p]

JimGo

Best of luck with the sales! Remember not to drink too much wine until AFTER the demo is over! [:)] I'm not sure about the material either, but it certaily looks pretty!

R.T., I think the base is wide enough to support the pen, especially since most of the force (weight) of the pen will be directed straight down. However, I will, of course, defer to Anthony's description!

PenWorks

Good one Alice, it is Bakelite. Turned and polished really nice, I wish they had more to. I have enough to do 2 more pens.

RT. The vase stand is sold as a rock. Works well. The base is just under an inch in width.

Thanks for the comments.

elody21

Originally posted by penworks
<br />Good one Alice, it is Bakelite. Turned and polished really nice, I wish they had more to. I have enough to do 2 more pens.

RT. The vase stand is sold as a rock. Works well. The base is just under an inch in width.

Thanks for the comments.
Yea! What do I win?!!!! I tried to turn bakelite before but did not have such good luck. I used a handle from a broken spoon and it was too brittle. Where is this pipe shop??!!!! Hmmmmmmmm I wonder if the different colors turn differently? the spoon I tried was red.

Dario

Isn't it that bakelite was stopped production a long time ago? That is going to be a collectible pen. There are bakelite collectors you know [;)]

BigRob777

Nice job Anthony,
I think the contrast shows up fairly well. You mean it is even prettier in-the-flesh? Wow! I think I have some of that in my kitchen drawer. Maybe when I get good enough I'll make a pen/spatula, so I can write down recipes in between flipping the flapjacks.[:D] You can pick that stuff up pretty cheaply around here at garage sales. It might be too thin to work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom