Tagua nut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

wood-of-1kind

A platinum Sierra made from TAGUA nut:

"Tagua nuts come from the ivory palm and share the characteristics of ivory: they are white, very hard, and take a polish well. They are particularly suitable for turning to make chess pieces, finials, and drawer pulls.
They hold carving detail well and are superb for decorative plugging. They can be sawn into slices and cut into intricate shapes on a scroll saw. Although very hard, they take stain well. The nuts vary from 1 1/2" to 2" long with a fairly flat void in the center."

2008427151931_P1010001.jpg

2008427151950_P1010004.jpg

2008427152014_P1010005.jpg

2008427152033_P1010010.jpg

2008427152050_P1010011.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Never thought of these nuts for pens. Turned out real nice. Another "I want to try". My basket just keeps getting fuller!

Did you put a finish on that or is it just polished?

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by airrat

Looks good, I was wondering the same thing as Frank. Did you have to glue sections together or just fill inclusions?

Frank, Tom the inclusions or "veins" were filled with tagua shavings and CA mixtute. All tagua nuts have veins and it is necessary to fill these natural voids to prevent "catches" and blow outs.

Thanks to all for your nice compliments. Glad that others may wish to try these "nutty" pens[:eek:)]

Darley

Very nice pen Peter, never though about Tagua nut good fill with CA, got some but not bigger enough to make a Sierra, where did you get those large nuts? BTW nice pen stands too are you doing your own stands?

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Darley

Very nice pen Peter, never though about Tagua nut good fill with CA, got some but not bigger enough to make a Sierra, where did you get those large nuts? BTW nice pen stands too are you doing your own stands?

Hi Serge,

Tagua nuts are available from Lee Valley Tools. They allow me to select from a basket display in their store. I rummage through it and select any larger nuts longer than 2.25".

The silver and chrome "stands" are actually discarded parts from cologne (perfume) bottles. The clear lexan is also something that I put together.

JohnLifer

Looks great, but just remember to keep the nuts/pen cool. They can discolor from age and heat. (Will turn a pretty ugly brown) And they tend to harden over time.
Just my experience.

Top Bottom