"Syzygy"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

Had a hard time deciding which kit to put this on. Jr. Statesman dressed in Coastal Red Milkwood with dyed wood veneers.

Your comments, good or bad, are appreciated as always. Thanks for looking.

1_JS-RB-RG-0002.jpg

1_JS-RB-RG-0002-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

Gorgeous! Hard to go wrong with any size Statesman. I love that pen. Just wish I knew how you guys acheive that kind of precision freehand. I've fiddled with it but they don't look like that!

Great stuff.

Dale

hewunch

Great work Keith! Although, I am trying to figure out if I like the single color veneer or the two tone. Regardless, it is nothing short of amazing!

PR_Princess

Another true beauty Keith! :tongue:

I have to agree with Gerry when he said that you are the undisputed Master of the little circle thingys!!! :biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

You asked for comments good or bad. The good has been said by all who posted already and the bad

is................................................absolutely

Nothing!

VisExp

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Although, I am trying to figure out if I like the single color veneer or the two tone.

You and me both Hans :) The two tone definitly makes the pen busier. I tried to make the different color circles in a pattern I thought would make sense, however with 24 different semi circles to cut there are quite a few permutations. The next time I think I will try a layer of blue circles then a layer of red circles etc.

Looking at the pen on my desk it is starting to grow on me. My wife things it's beautiful and that's plenty good enough for me :biggrin:

I am quite sure you can get the SA flag into some of those curvies you do so well, then send it to me for evaluation......wat sĂŞ jy?

Ek sĂŞ u nie maak dinge maklik!
Actually, the SA flag would make for some pretty cool colors on a pen.

marcruby

Keith;

You already know that I think you do great work. I was wondering if you use a scroll saw or maybe a military laser to do the work!! I can see what you are doing, but other than rigging up some wild jig on my scroll saw I can't see an easy way to get the circles and wiggles so clean.

Marc

VisExp

Keith;

You already know that I think you do great work. I was wondering if you use a scroll saw or maybe a military laser to do the work!! I can see what you are doing, but other than rigging up some wild jig on my scroll saw I can't see an easy way to get the circles and wiggles so clean.

Marc

Thanks Marc. All the cuts are done freehand on the scrollsaw. I've thought about a jig but with what that little blade is up against I don't think it would work. I think the blade would get all bent out of shape.

The key is to size the blade to the thickness of the material.

I just try follow my pattern line as closely as I can. Between you and me, and don't tell anyone else :wink:, sometimes they look a little bit wobbly, but by the time it's all glued up and clamped and turned to size it often looks better than expected. The really wobbly ones end up in the trash :biggrin: I've found that cuts # 22 through 24 are a bit more high pressure than cuts # 1 through 3 :rolleyes:

bitshird

OK Keith, since you didn't make me cry last time I posted a pen, I'll give you my honest opinion, WOW. that is outrageous very nice, and WOW one more time just cause it's so danged nice.

Top Bottom