SYP modified slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbwertz

sbwertz

This was my first experiment with the SYP for a PITH pen. Southern yellow pine knot with turquoise infill.

1_IMG_2663.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Very Nice! I like the inlay, hope to find a inclusion that needs a bit of filling for my own PITH pen.

Last edited:

sbwertz

Very Nice! I like the inlay, hope to find a inclusion that needs a bit of filling for my own PITH pen.

If it doesn't have an inclusion, make one! I use a dremel and a dental bit, but you could use any small bit. Find an interesting knot, enlarge any natural cracks, and route out grooves following the shape of the knot. This particular pen had lots of lovely holes, but I often help nature along to produce an interesting infill.

Last edited:

Rick P

I had considered just that and it maybe the route I end up taking. I have a ton of root stock to cut yet and it sure would be nice to have it happen naturally. Frankly I have been stuck in Brain storming mode since the first images of other PITH pens started to show up...... I have about 4 pens going in 3 diferent styles and I am thinking of scraping them for a 5 idea thats been tugging at the back of my mind.............:biggrin:

sbwertz

Actually, on this particular pen the knot came flying completely out and I had to chase it down and glue it back in and infill around it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice looking pen Sharon. Thanks for showing it. My house is surrounded by SYP. I'm gonna have to take a walk tomorrow :biggrin:

Jgrden

If it doesn't have an inclusion, make one! I use a dremel and a dental bit, but you could use any small bit. Find an interesting knot, enlarge any natural cracks, and route out grooves following the shape of the knot. This particular pen had lots of lovely holes, but I often help nature along to produce an interesting infill.
Interesting. I just bought another battery operated Dremel and it is much faster than my other one. My point being, where do I find dental bits that fit the Dremel bit.

Last edited:

Old Lar

You do very nice work, Sharon. The inlays add that little extra that catches people eye and pocketbook. Or, in this day and age, their plastic.
If I get to Arizona this winter, I'll try to contact you.

wizard

Sharon,
Great Pen!! I really like the way you used accented the natural appearance of the wood. I wish the pine I bought had a more yellow appearance to it and more natural features. I'm wondering if adding a tint to the CA would help in addition to using inlays...what do you think? Doc

sbwertz

Sharon,
Great Pen!! I really like the way you used accented the natural appearance of the wood. I wish the pine I bought had a more yellow appearance to it and more natural features. I'm wondering if adding a tint to the CA would help in addition to using inlays...what do you think? Doc

Would you like me to send you some syp knots? I have several more cut. I can stick them in a padded envelope and mail them to you today.

wizard

Sharon, Thanks so much for the offer..but I found some wood. My son pointed out all the pieces that were left over from the pergola that he built.
I found a piece with a large knot and made the PITH Pen out of it this A.M. Turning a very large knot in wood was interesting:eek:. Thanks again, Doc

Attachments

• Spring PITH 2011_1.jpg
    Spring PITH 2011_1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 116

sbwertz

Sharon, Thanks so much for the offer..but I found some wood. My son pointed out all the pieces that were left over from the pergola that he built.
I found a piece with a large knot and made the PITH Pen out of it this A.M. Turning a very large knot in wood was interesting:eek:. Thanks again, Doc

OOOOO...that's a LOVELY knot!

sbwertz

Larry, I'd love to have you visit. I used to live in ND in my childhood. It is a great place to be from in the winter...far from :biggrin:.

Last edited:

sbwertz

I like the looks of it, I really like the way people modify a slimline pen to look such as this.

This one came out almost like a mini-cigar

Attachments

• IMG_2720.jpg
    IMG_2720.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Top Bottom