Sycamore root Wall Street II click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

A couple of weeks ago we were in Arkansas visiting my mother. She's wheelchair bound and has a ramp out her door shee can go out and putter in her flowerpot garden. I found out the landing at the bottom was in serious need of reworking so I volunteered myself to do the job. I dug out the fragmented concrete and blocks, encountering several large sycamore roots in the hole I needed to pour the concrete into. This tree had been dead for several years and the roots were not all solid and were turning colors. I thought this was a great opportunity to aquire some more unusual wood so I cleaned off the solid chunks left and packed them back home with me. I sawed them up the next day seeing some impressive grain structure, spalting and colors. They been drying since and this one is the first I've tried out. Looks pretty good and it's not even the best looking blank.

Attachments

• sycamore-root1.jpg
    sycamore-root1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 259
  • sycamore-root2.jpg
    sycamore-root2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 195
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

What a great acquisition. I hope to see some more great pics soon. Are you drying the blanks in any way before turning?

Gary Beasley

I turned a 7mm twist pen from it to give my aunt, was her tree in the first place. It's even prettier than the first one.

Attachments

• sycamore-rood-twist.jpg
    sycamore-rood-twist.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 142
  • sycamore-rood-twist2.jpg
    sycamore-rood-twist2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom