Sycamore Plus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Straight- and end-grain sycamore assembled with black glue. Another Eagle-ized blank. Thank you for viewing and your comments are welcome.

200598152212_Sycamore.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Looks beautiful!!! What's his (Eagles) secret? He truly is a master of his craft. Nothing to take away(Lou)from your fine crafting as well. I have a ton of sycamore blanks but am now totally envious of this design.[:)]

Ron Mc

I've noticed this phrase in several show off threads, "Another Eagle-ized blank". Does this mean that you created a blank that you feel eagle would have done or does this mean that it is a blank that eagle made and sent to you?

hobby_dale

Lou, I really like the black glue. I think it really makes the laminations stand out. Neat idea and well crafted for all parties! Thanks for sharing with us.

Turnitall

I like the black line separation, but not too sure of the bleed effect... all in all a nice pen

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by rtparso
<br />Great looking pen! What is the black glue?
Resorcinol.
It was given to me to try. I did. This and another blank like it in my posession were the only ones I used it on.
I beleve it was supposed to be red.That was the intended effect.
Don't think I'll use it any more, at least not on sycamore.

woodscavenger

That is cool! Eagle, do you sleep or do you spend all of your time in your shop trying to make my brain rot by figuring out how you do these? Nice work Lou on your "collaboration"[;)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for all of the encouraging comments. The Eagle-ized blanks are ones that Eagle and I build on the phone. We kick comments back and forth, then he constructs the blank since he's a woodworker and I'm just a pen maker. These have been particularly fun since Eagle constructs a lot of his own kits and I tend to make pens as designed. Frank--I hope your arm heals quickly and fully. I look forward to seeing what you do with the blanks you have.

BigRob777

Yowsa, Lou!
Nice job, both of you. I've heard this stuff TSW is a nice "cap-off" for a pen, I know where you can get some.[;)] When you turn those three textures together (grain, end grain and dry glue), is there any tendency to chip-out (I mean for us mortals)?
Rob

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, again, for the kind words. Rob--chipping is a potential problem in working this kind of glue-up, so light cuts with sharp tools is a must (when isn't it? [:p]). Jason--I like the bleed, also, as do most of the people who have seen it in person. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom