Sweetgum on a JrGent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

I was feeling in a 'woody mood' today!
The Arkansas Sweet/Redgum was such a hit the last time around, figured I could always use another halfway decent pen in the portfolio. So I grabbed a blank right from the top of the stack, and drilled some holes and glued in the tubes. Turned between centers and checked(allot) the diameter with micrometer until just really close. Started sanding at 400grit...finished at 800grit, then used a little BLO to allow the grain to 'pop', finished by using EEE and some wax. Use a leftover finial from a Sedona kit, and the rest of the pen was Jr. Gent 1 gold hardware....not sure if I like it any better then the 'flat top' profile of the regular Jr. Gent finial though?

That's right....no CA! Left the wormholes as open as I could(no filler) too. Figured I'd start letting some of these turnings just be wood!

And a close-up!

Actaully had fun making this one! No CA fumes burning the eyes out of my head, and a pretty decent looking finished product too....okay, you might be able to find something you don't like about it? I'd be happy to hear any thoughts or concerns......

Scott (finger free from CA today) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom