Sweet-Red Gum from Arkansas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

I guess if you let anything sit in the weather around here long enough, something really nice will happen to the tone of the timber. Can't really call this stuff here spalt, but I guess it still is....just not the black 'line' spalt we normally see. More of a thick layer of white spalt that never gets to meet the black spalt.....and there were a few worms crawling through it. Guess they moved on to better food sources after the bug bombs:eek:
But it did sit around in the yard for over a year before the WoodMizer gt to eat on it! And before that it had been sitting in a farmers field in Beebe after some straight line winds took them down! Craiglist is an awesome place to find trees that need removing:wink:

Standard turning between centers, no bushings....just a micrometer. Turned to about .010" over-sized and sanded(dry) through 400grit. One swipe of BLO, and then 7 coats of medium CA. The first five pretty pads were used and then some PlastixPolish to finish it off.

Open:

Closed:

Same issue with this one not wanting to screw together correctly, threads got some bugs that needed fixin'..... Guess I'll need to save the rest of these for closed end projects. Thanks for looking!!!

Scott (doesn't smell sweet when the stuff green) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Great looking pen. I have 4 12"x24" Sweetgum logs in my garage waiting for moisture content to go down. Having seen your pen, can't wait until 14% comes around. Bowls and pens aplenty! Mmmmmmmm.

SDB777

Great looking pen. I have 4 12"x24" Sweetgum logs in my garage waiting for moisture content to go down. Having seen your pen, can't wait until 14% comes around. Bowls and pens aplenty! Mmmmmmmm.

I typically try to cut my logs while they are still 'green', just easier for the mill to eat on wood while it still has moisture in it(and the less I need to drip on it while running that blade to keep her clean).

BTW, these logs don't get the garage treatment until I know they deserve it....in the weather for them!

Thanks for all the kind words....never expected to see anything I turned on the front page.

Scott (humbled) B

Top Bottom