Sweet Gum Ball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paps

paps

My wife picked up some seed pods (at least that's what I'm calling them) from a sweet gum tree and wanted me to try casting them. Turned out pretty neat. Used PR with spring green pearlex and a touch of blue color to add a little more depth. These turn like pinecones...gotta go slow and stabilize with CA often. Thanks for the look!

Attachments

• 076P0311.jpg
    076P0311.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 557
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Dang ... I knew I should have tried it. I could get truck loads around here, but now they have been mowed over. I will have to go look for some tomorrow. Did you use pressure or just cast them?

ToddMR

I just did one of those kits not too long ago. You did a great job and those annoying pods look great in that blank! Very nicely done, I like the effect a lot.

paps

This was one of the sculpted kits from PSI. I like the kit, but you have to cut a tenon for the center band...a little tricky with fragile blanks.

I don't have a pressure pot, so this was just cast in a rectangular mold.

Here's a little more info that might be helpful if you want to give these a shot:

I squared 4 sides of the pods before casting...top, bottom, and 2 sides.
Poured the resin in the mold to about 0.5 inch depth. Stacked the pods in the mold/resin letting the un-altered spiny ends overlap as much as possible. This seems to help hold the blank together when turning since it gives you added resin between pods. Finish pouring the resin over the top of the pods. Vibrate to remove air bubbles.

Thanks for the comments!

Top Bottom