Swedish / U.S. pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Umeubbe

Umeubbe

Hey guys!
I've got a very good friend here on the forum who lives in Louisiana. We write mail to each other and explains how to live their lives on the other side of the world, very nice and instructive.
He sent a surprise to me, a package of different varieties of wood, even some varieties that I have never heard of. One of them is Sassafras, just the name makes me lol. but I find it really nice.

The second pen I just have to try to do. Ebony, I have used in the shaft when I made knives, which is another hobby, but I have never try to lathe in ebony, but it went pretty well, I think.
As usual, I would like to have opinions, both positive and negative, grateful for the response.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Urban,

Your skills have come a long way in a very short time. Those pens look very nice!!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
That Sassafras is really nice! I wish we had that wood up here! I bet the Swedish wood and Canadian woods are very similar, actually, being colder climates.

The part of Canada I live in is full of Swedes, likely because it reminded them so much of Sweden when they immigrated here in the 1900s. My grandmother was from Malmo, and I have family in Askarod and Goteborg also! :)

Trade you some Canadian wood for Lingonberry Jam, Urban! :D

tim self

Nice pens. Like the Sassafras grain. Just for information, Sassafras is also used for tea. During the fall when the sap falls, we dig roots. Shave/whittle the root and boil. Great for cleaning the blood system!

Jgrden

Urban, you are fantastic. Good luck with the Ebony. Mine keeps splitting. I don't use it any more. In fact, I think I'll send it to you. Wait, I think it is because of the humidity here in Texas and we are considering a move to the high desert in California. Maybe that will help. I'd still send you some in trade for a domestic Swedish wood.

Rfturner

Great job on the pens like everyone is saying your skills have Vastly improved. You started out taking baby steps and now you are sprinting good job, who knows maybe in another month or two he will have to show Skiprat or workinforwood (and many others) a thing or two Good job Urban

Umeubbe

Thank you guys for all the kind comments.

The next big challenge for me is trying to sell a pen and I believe this is not so easy.
There are too many greedy Swedes, unfortunately, and they're not about to pay even what material costs.
I have to figure out which professional groups who may be Interested in buying a handmade pen. Most Swedes are using only the promotional pens that you get for free. :frown:

Jgrden

Urban, thus begins the challenge. People won't buy what they can't see so EXPOSURE is rule number one. Finding a person who needs and wants your instrument is critical so rule number two is IDENTIFY YOUR CLIENT and where they work. Pricing needs to be finessed in that people want, even in Sweden, to PAY DEARLY for an object of art.

Dudley Young

Super job Urban. I'm lucky in the sales department. My daughter owns a pack and ship store where we have a pen display. She turns them also. You have to make what the market will bare. The 50 Cal. in my opinion is ugly as a pile a rocks but I can hardly make them fast enough. They sell like hot cakes. Find a store that will let you put in a display and give them a %. I sell the simple slimlines for $15.00 and that's a good profit. I can make one out of wood, corian or acrylic in 30-45 minutes. Good luck. BZ

gaeast54

Great work my friend. And thanks for the gifts also. Friends no matter how far or how close we will be to each other.

jskeen

Ask your Cajun friend if he puts sassafras leaves in his gumbo? Gumbo doesn' taste like gumbo without it.

Ken

Read all the way through this thread getting ready to make that comment, and last entry somebody beat me to it.

But you're right, File (fE-lay) powder is nothing but dried, powdered sassafras leaves, and no Cajun in his right mind would serve gumbo without some on the table right next to the salt and the Tabasco sauce.

Very nice pens too, btw!

Urban,
Nicely done, fine shape and finish. Always carry your favorite every day pen with you and eagerly show it to whomever will look. Others may see, too, that you make a fine writing instrument. Always keep a dozen or so in a case, with you and be sure you tell them you "turn them from scratch" , they may think you simply buy all the parts and assemble them.

robutacion

Thank you guys for all the kind comments.

The next big challenge for me is trying to sell a pen and I believe this is not so easy.
There are too many greedy Swedes, unfortunately, and they're not about to pay even what material costs.
I have to figure out which professional groups who may be Interested in buying a handmade pen. Most Swedes are using only the promotional pens that you get for free. :frown:

Yes you're right, the selling point can be a drag...! that was always by biggest problem when I was trying to cover my turning expenses by making bowl, vases, plates, platters in things like these, by having to confront the public for the sale, never like that a bit, nor I was ever good at it...!

I'm glad that I can cover my expenses by the sale of my woods, particularly on eBay, now everything I turn, bigger and smaller stuff like pens, are all to give away as presents, gifts, swap for other stuff and things like that but, I understand and know how daunting it can be to try finding the right clientele/customers for your products...! wish you the best of luck with that...!

You mention knifes as another of your hobbies and I know how Swedish like their knifes, once many year back I've met this extraordinary Swedish lady travelling all over Australia and when she went home she send me 2 items, one is a wooden make drinking jag that I can't remember what they are called out there and a hand made knife by one of the famous knife makers in Sweden. Unfortunately the knife and pouch was stolen some years later but I still have that wooden jag which I will take a pic and post it here.

I wouldn't mind a wood swap with you, after you tell me what is local to you or Swedish in nature, I can have pen blanks from you if is all you can get and I can send you any of mine in pen blanks, knife scales or knife blocks (150x50x35mm). These I send to Russia to a fellow down there that makes knifes, they love my She/Bull-Oak...!:biggrin:

Good luck..!

PS: I nearly forgot, those are lice looking pens, well finished and with a good profile...!:wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Ok, here I have the pics of that hand made wooden jag I mention on my previous post, the only problem, (well sort of...!) is that our friend Urban won't be able to recognise any of this work, why...??? because I got myself confused about this old lady friend country of origin, is not Sweden but Norway, in fact...! Shame on me for forgetting that.

Because I mention this jag I'm showing it to everyone as I also forgotten about a hand painting that this lady sent me a year after she sent the jag and the knife...! damn I'm mad that someone took it with my permition..!:mad: was a beautiful hand crafted knife and leather pouch...!

Sorry Urban, about trying to show you some items that I've thought typical of your country but as it turn out, I stuffed-up...! sorry!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_0238_(1).jpg
    100_0238_(1).jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_0239_(1).jpg
    100_0239_(1).jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_0240_(1).jpg
    100_0240_(1).jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 93