swaravsky crystal slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend asked me to make a slim line pen using a corian material based on a pen she saw in my album and some swarovsky crystals she provided. It was interesting to dremel golf ball like dimples to recess the crystals. I feel it is rather plain but had to present it as a simple, yet elegant pen per her request.

20078183050_Copy%20of%20slim%20crystal%20001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

How are the crystals held in place.....epoxy??

The slimline(B2B) is well known for not having much "meat" outside of the tubes. Did you have to turn the Corian a little "fat" to have enough depth for the crystals?? Thanks.

Randy_

I'm not familiar with those crystals. Do they have a flat surface on the back side or some sort of a bump like diamonds have. Glenn did mention that he had to "dimple" the Corian to set the crystals. Don't quite know what that means??

angboy

Is there a clip on the other side not showing? I'd think that might take away from the appearance of the pen. If there's not, how'd you get a tip? It looks great- very different.

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Thanks, Glenn.

Did you overlook the second part of my question??
Sorry, yes, I did overlook the second part. I made the pen the same size as the body of the streamline 7mm round top (without the clip)which is a bit heftier than a standard slim. My customer did indeedZ add the clip which I provided. It is photo'd without the clip.
They are flat backed crystals and I did use a dremmel to make the "dimples" like a golf ball using a round bit and the crystals are recessed. the concave setting allows a bit more epoxy to hold the crystals. The are held tight enough that they held while I buffed the body and the crystals on a buffing wheel at a higher speed.

Randy_

Originally posted by angboy
<br />.....Is there a clip on the other side not showing.....If there's not, how'd you get a tip.....

DSA: Maybe the first cup of Java hasn't kicked in yet? I am not quite sure I understand what you are trying to get at in the above comment??

angboy

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by angboy
<br />.....Is there a clip on the other side not showing.....If there's not, how'd you get a tip.....

DSA: Maybe the first cup of Java hasn't kicked in yet? I am not quite sure I understand what you are trying to get at in the above comment??

I'm not a coffee drinker- maybe that's the problem, I need to start! What I meant wasn't how he got a tip- yeah that doesn't make much sense.[B)] I meant the cap (?) part- I'm sure there's some simple name I just can't think of, but I'm talking about the dome shaped thing at the opposite end of the nib. I'm wondering how you would get one of those that wouldn't have a clip attached or how you'd get the clip off and not ruin it, and then how you'd attach it to the pen/corian. (I hope that's clearer?[?])

Randy_

Ah Ha....... Now get it.

Most people will probably call that thing a finial or less commonly a tassie or a darby. With most kits, the finial and the clip are two separate pieces and you can leave the clip off if you so desire. Here is a link to the kit that was used so you can see all of the parts involved.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/7mmStrmlineRTtwistPen.pdf

angboy

Thanks Randy! I should have been able to come up with finial! It makes sense to me now. For some reason I was thinking that even a slimline had the clip attached to the finial, but now that I think about, I'm wrong. Doesn't happen often, but apparently yesterday it did! [}:)][}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom