Surprise Inside a Double-Dyed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dick Mahany

Dick Mahany

Since I'm new to this, I was curious to turn a double dyed Box Elder Burl to see what it would look like. I didn't expect the inside to be so different from the outside, but here's a picture of the 1/2 of the blank before turning, and the finished pen. Now I know.

Attachments

• IMGP5600.jpg
    IMGP5600.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 618
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

So, are you pleased or not? Surprised and happy or surprised and unhappy? I like the double dyed BEB blanks where one of the colors is black. Each one is different.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Dick Mahany

So, are you pleased or not? Surprised and happy or surprised and unhappy? I like the double dyed BEB blanks where one of the colors is black. Each one is different.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I was hoping for more of the teal-black, and at first wasn't too fond of the purplish and light wood colorings, but it grew on me and is really a complex mix of colors. I too like the black colors in the double dye patterns and plan to try dying a few on my own very soon.

booney0717

I've been curious about these blanks for a while now but never bought one because the blank just looks ugly. Now that i've seen the results, i'm gonna give em a try. Nice pen.

Dick Mahany

!!

Thanks folks for the comments! Most of you likely knew what I just now realized, but I'd thought that I would share the before and after pic. I guess I need to explore more....................yes ???

Maskman080900

Theres a company "Texas Wood House" does double dyeing. There black really lookd good. They offer colors I haven't seen before. They are at texaswoodhouse.com. Give em a visit if your looking for good looking dyed wood.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Dick: Blanks are like Christmas presents. You don't know what's inside till you open it. That is BEAUTIFUL!!! Tight eyes, complex pattern, spectacular mix of colors, what more could you want? Well, a customer, I guess!!:biggrin::biggrin:

BUT< I don't know about that either! That one, Hmmmm! just might ought to be kept for a carry, to show off, pen!:wink:

Top Bottom