Superbowl Pens for the Troops!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

Last February, I was in the Superbowl Pool with pen blanks as the prize. I won 1 of the quarters, and was then flooded with small flat rate boxes. I think the mailman thought I was in some pyramid scheme.:rolleyes: Here they are stuffed into a large flat rate box. If I remember correctly, I got a few more boxes after this picture was taken.
attachment.php

Anyway, I wanted to do some pens for the troops, and I thought this would be a good way to use some of the blanks. Last year our local chapter did PFTT, and I found a new appreciation for the lowly slimline. Yes I'd seen the Russ Fairfield contest for the Bash, but wasn't really interested. But when doing the pens last year, I really enjoyed it. I quickly abandoned the CB, and modified the pen to look more like a euro. So those of you who think you hate the slimline, make a few, and use some of the ideas from the Bash contest the last 2 years. And donate some to PFTT. 10 of the ones below are going out to Gary today. The rest are for our local chapters PFTT. If you haven't sent him some pens yet, Why Not? If you have, spread the word.

Here's the link for the Armed Forces Day Pens:http://www.penturners.org/forum/1517323-post1.html

And if you can't make some by the 18th, then here's the ongoing link: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f70/servicepens-2013-a-98908/

Oh, I guess I need a picture, or it didn't happen.:biggrin:
attachment.php

Attachments

• lrg flat rate.jpg
    lrg flat rate.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 449
  • Pens 1.jpg
    Pens 1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

You probably have enough of those centerbands saved up to do a slimeline with just those(think I saw Les do that).

Like the look of the segmented pieces(faux centerband) using the PR chunks! And they sort of look like Euro's!!!!

Scott (A+ for you....okay, I clicked the 'LIKE' thingy) B

BSea

You probably have enough of those centerbands saved up to do a slimeline with just those(think I saw Les do that).

Like the look of the segmented pieces(faux centerband) using the PR chunks! And they sort of look like Euro's!!!!
I do have enough I'm sure. But I doubt I'll ever use them. As I said, I'm not a fan of the centerband.:wink:

I just love this pen with these center bands. Just beautiful.
Thanks Mike. All the wooden CB's are from a strip of Desert Iron Burl. It's too thin to make a pen, but it sure makes nice CBs

Is that one in the middle made with that mysterious "PA" wood I gave you? :biggrin:
LOL!! No, that one is made from Fear River Pine (I think that's the name). I did make one from that PA wood though. Unfortunately, I had a small mishap, and had a crack when I assembled it.:redface: But that piece really turned out nice. I actually keep that pen in my truck now. I do have that other PA piece. I'll save it for something other than a slimline.

That one in front is the 1st one I made. The one in back is the last one. The rest are in no particular order. There was another one, but My Brother-In-Law got that one. It was a really pretty cedar pen with a vein of yellow. To tell the truth, I kinda wanted that one too. It's ok though. He spent some time in Vietnam so it still went to a veteran.

BSea

Beautiful pens Bob. Really look nice.
Thanks Gary. The package went out yesterday. I did forget to include the note though. So when you get a small flat rate from a guy In Little Rock. That's me:wink:.

Oh, and a note to others sending in pens. Save the bags the kit comes in, and put the finished pen in there to protect it from scratches. Of course I didn't even think of this till most of the pens were done, and the trash was gone.:confused:

kyaggie

Great pens for a great cause! I have 10 red oak pens that are complete but what is the address to send them to?

Thanks,
Mike

BSea

When I posted that, I knew it didn't sound quite right. I guess I should have gotten the box back out to see what the correct name was.:rolleyes:

TDE

Lookin good Bob, I have been intending to get some pens made for Gary too just haven't found the time. Are ya'll going to do a pen for the troops thing again? Are they supposed to be in for this meeting? I can't make the meeting but I hope to make it to Scotts sometime, I'll try to get some to him. Take care, Ted:)

Top Bottom