Sun shot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Burr

Jim Burr

Banned
This one was a finish challenge. Have a ton of Iron wood in the shop so I was thinking about finish. Straight from skew to finish...it's beautiful wood!!
There is an old trick with other material so the thought came up that 0000 steel wool and Hut. Sucks!!! The wood oxidized, kinda dark...not what I wanted. Alcohol'd it off and did Steel wool then Hut separately. Amazing grain relief but I have no idea what the duration of the lack of finish will be on the blank. Thanks for looking!!

Attachments

• DIW.jpg
    DIW.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 336
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Nicely done, Jim! Fit and finish are spot on. Iron wood doesn't seem to need much finish to make it look fantastic.

Looking forward to your next one.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
It really looks great Jim. Fit and finish is top notch. How is life in the Biggest Little City on the World?

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
It really looks great Jim. Fit and finish is top notch. How is life in the Biggest Little City on the World?

Dan...we love it here...no questions, no answers...just the best place for us. On the evangelical side of life...please avert you gaze if you are offended, I'll tell you when to look again...
God really led us here, plenty of reason and need. We weren't planning on it, but the slate has been wiped clean.

The rest of you may look now. Glad to be here and wouldn't change a thing. More as the shop time allows and thanks for looking!!

wizard

Jim, That is a gorgeous pen!! The wood is rich in color, naturally darkened and aged. I like it just as is!! Shine on wood competing with shine on brass just doesn't seem as natural. Regards:)

That pen is really beautiful. I love the natural wood look and of course as always it is perfectly turned.. I would say you have made a real beauty there.

OZturner

Jim, What a Pen!
Love the Rugged Gnarled Desert Iron Wood, Spectacular.
The Bolt Action is the right Pen, just waiting for this Blank.
With your Finish, or lack of it, It is Perfect.
Five Stars all the way.
Brian.

Top Bottom