For sumterdad - Midnight Surprise blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

Here is your cast Chris. I had no idea what was inside and was pleasantly surprised by what it had in store.

Beautiful red swirls hiding among all the black and grey :eek: :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1268 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1268 (Medium).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1269 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1269 (Medium).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Working on some better pictures now.

It's the Artisan FP kit from CSUSA. I don't recommend it as I'm not very happy with the way the snap on cap works and the fact that there is no trim ring of any sorts for the bottom of the cap barrel, so when you take it off, it's an exposed blank end and tube.

sumterdad

That turned out nice. Now I am gonna have to make a few more like that one. But you made it look nicer by putting it on that fountain kit.

bluwolf

Working on some better pictures now.

It's the Artisan FP kit from CSUSA. I don't recommend it as I'm not very happy with the way the snap on cap works and the fact that there is no trim ring of any sorts for the bottom of the cap barrel, so when you take it off, it's an exposed blank end and tube.

What is it about the snap cap that you don't like. I've made many of these and I like them a lot. You do know that the snap cap itself is adjustable for a more secure fit. That is, as long as you didn't trim the cap barrel too much when squaring it.

I agree with you about the unfinished end of the cap barrel. I usually make the slightly upscale version of this pen that CSUSA has. I don't know if this link will work, it looked funny when I copied it. If not the part# is 050-0369 for the rhodium version.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...ericana_Rollerball_Pen_Kit___amer_rf_pen?Args=

They also have a snap cap adjuster part # 050-0060.

Carl Fisher

The plastic housing that is the actual snap is my complaint about the build. The instructions say you can use a screwdriver to thread it onto the post. That lasted about three twists before the plastic nubs stripped. Then it was a matter of trying to screw it on by hand which cracked the tube. I ended up gluing the crack and wrapping a piece of blue tape to hold it in shape so it wouldn't split apart again in the tube. I did have to pop the cap off and tighten up the fit a bit but that's not a big deal. Functionally it's fine after that.

My bigger issue though is as a finished product I don't care for the unfinished end on the cap. I'll give the Americana a try next time.

hewunch

Honestly Carl, I have had a high failure rate of americanas and classics fountains. So I just do the Jr IIs and their cousins

Top Bottom