Sumac berries

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

They look like a flower on top of the Staghorn Sumac tree's, but they are actually berries. A deep red berry cluster, the berries are very hairy...if they were green they would look just like mary jane buds! I dried some and cast them. They worked out great, but next time I'd use a transluscent color only. I poured the mold full, cast it, pulled it out and it was only half full and had to cast it again but couldn't totally duplicate the color because the first cast had some red paint mixed in and I was not sure where I put it as I ran around in a panic. Any large brown spots are twigs, small brown holes are the berries cut in half while turning. If you could look real close you can see some hairy berry balls inside. I would definitely do it again, but with a deeper mold and over pour it.

Attachments

• sumac 003.jpg
    sumac 003.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 350
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyingmelon

So many comments to make if this were not a family rated forum..... Nice looking pen even with the problems you mentioned. How long did you dry the berries? just wondering if the exposed will shrink anymore.

workinforwood

Right now, the berries are half dry right on the trees. I dried them in the oven for 3 hours at 200 degrees. There are no exposed berries, after turning the pen is coated in ca to seal the berries and to fill any holes. The berries are basically hollow inside, so any that are cut in half while turning need to be filled with ca.
Far as "so many comments to make if this were not a family rated forum"..well I don't understand what you are meaning by that. There is no crude meanings intended in my comments about my pen. It's just an accurate description. They are very cool looking little berries, and with a more translucent casting they will be more visible.

B727phixer

Very nice, It sort of looks like some of those constellations you see from the Hubble telescope or a Doctors microscope, can't decide which, Looks cool!:confused:

karlkuehn

Banned
I know what you mean about pulling stuff out of the pot and wondering where all the resin went. You just have to look at it like I do...the more they suck in, the easier they'll be to turn, even if you gotta cast them two or three times. I've had some wood stuff come out only half cast after filling the mold to the top.

Just to be clear, for me, the 'pot' means something that has lots of brass fittings, valves and gauges hanging off the lid. I'm sure Mary Jane will understand what you meant, with no hard feelings.

Top Bottom