Stuff from This Weekend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan26

Dan26

Well, at least most were done this weekend. After Gerry (aka Chasper) showed me how to add a splash of color, I can't stop. Thanks Gerry. I'm still practicing but am pretty happy with the results. The woods from left to right are sycamore (orange), cherry (red), sycamore (purple), cherry (natural), sycamore (blue, green, purple), maple (red), and sycamore (orange). The purple looks blue in the photo, but it really is purple.

Comments/critiques welcome.

Dan

Attachments

• Sierras - Nine of Them.jpg
    Sierras - Nine of Them.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 288
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Oldwagon

Hey Dan,My fingers look like that tonight.I have been putting the color to some birdseye maple.I still need to practice. they all look great. Todd

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Dan those look great. I've been practicing my ca finish and really getting it down. Got a bunch ready to dye the next few days.

Dan26

Thanks everyone. These were fun to make.

Todd, after two days of blue fingers, I took Ernie's advice and wore gloves. A lot less explaining at work.

Ernie, I have problems with getting a high gloss. I started using HUT wax after the CA and it's much better, but I don't think the shine will last. What's the name of that plastic polish you use?

mywoodshopca, I used food coloring to get the colors. I have a limited selection of wood right now, so I just use what I have.

Rick_G

They look good Dan. For a polish check your local auto shop. I use an auto body polish with scratch and swirl remover in it. Works great. It's not a wax but designed to polish the top surface of the paint and remove small scratches. For dyes I like to use something dissolved in alcohol. Aniline dyes work well. They are designed for water but will dissolve pretty well in alcohol. I find it dries much faster than water.

lmcminn

How To???

You said, "Gerry (aka Chasper) showed me how to add a splash of color". Can you share that process with us? I think the pens look great and would love to find out how to do this and give it a try. I did a search for food color, and did not see anything posted by Chasper. If there is such an article or thread, could some one point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Lee

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Chasper showed us at our chapter meeting. Dan I use Meguiar's PLASTX. You can get it at Autozone. Let me know if you want some and I'll get you a bottle before our next meeting.

Top Bottom