Stubby Baron...a.k.a. pseudo-havana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I like the Baron kit. I have made many. I think it is a little too heavy when the cap is posted however. My own personal bias. I like the closed end forms and don't usually mind holding the cap. But after looking at the Havana kit I got some ideas.

Tell me what you think. Now be nice, this was a very sloppily put together prototype done quickly one night. I didn't spend much time on the shape or finish (obviously). Just critique the overall idea.

Open view.
DSC01968.jpg

Capped view
DSC01965.jpg

Closed view next to a regular Baron kit.
DSC01967.jpg

Here is a list of what I did.
1. No clip
2. Disc sanded off the metal trim ring at the end of the cap tube.
3. Left of the metal trim rings on the threaded body ends so the cap can screw down flush. In future prototypes I will be more careful and try to get a seamless flowing shape when the cap is screwed on either en.
4. Shortened the body. It holds a normal cartridge but will not hold a converter.

BTW the wood is screwbean mesquite....a freebie from BB.
When this is capped it is the perfect length and weight for my hand and I don't have to worry about my cap running away. When it is closed it slips in my front pants pocket very nicely.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Interesting design. MUCH shorter and thinner than the standard size. I think I like the trim ring on the ends; it make the transition from wood to threads look a little cleaner. Too bad it won't work with a RB (unless you can find a different refill).

coach

Very interesting design. How does the weight feel now? Is it better that fat, or would a standard baron size with that design feel better? You are definetly on to something.

I agree the design is interesting. As I look at this one, I also wonder about your statement that the Baron kit being too heavy when the cap is posted. I think I can see why.

woodscavenger

Coach, the capped weight is perfect for my writing style. I left it fat becuase I was mimicking the Havanna. No reason to think you couldn't thin it down. I was trying to leave both barrels about the same diameter.

Jim, I agree about the trim ring and transition. I am going to see if I can press the thread mechanism of the cap a little further in to give me a recessed cap so I can use the trim rings on the body but still leave off the cap trim ring segment so I can creat a full wood appearing pen.

Anthony, I will try and figure out a closed cap or a wood finial. We'll see.

Frank, I am not sure if the RB refills can be cut short.

Randy_

I won't say that I don't like it....but it looks funny.....the proportions just aren't right??? I like pens with graceful lines.....that pen is just too "chunky" for me.

woodscavenger

I agree it is chunky. That pen and my other experiment that has been taking some shots for being understandably boring were both done in a hurry one night for fun. I thought about sitting on both of them and reworking them with more dramatic woods, details or shapes but this is what I came up with just to play with.

nilsatcraft

I really like the idea but I've never been a huge fan of the shorter pens. I like the look of longer, more streamlined pens. I'm just a scrawny little guy, so that may have something to do with it [:D]. Great innovation though, I'm very interested in seeing future versions. Nice work!

Randy_

Originally posted by woodscavenger<br />...both done in a hurry one night for fun. I thought about sitting on both of them and reworking them with more dramatic woods, details or shapes but this is what I came up with just to play with.

Shane: Having fun is what making pens is all about for me. If I can recover some of my costs or even make a few bucks, that's just gravy. Showing off "experiments" is a useful exercise. What some don't like, others will. And though your particular effort may not be an overwhelming success in some eyes, it may turn on the light of another pencrafter and provide him the inspiration for a masterpiece. We learn as much from our failures as we do from our successes. Keep up the experimentation and keep having fun!!![:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom