String-winder pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bgibb42

bgibb42

Finally got this finished up Sunday. I've been playing with this idea for the last few weeks and had been stuck on how to incorporate a cap for this pen barrel. For those that don't know, the original tool (in the fourth pic) is a guitar string-winder. It's used to quickly wind up the strings on tuning posts so you don't kill your wrist when changing strings. I have several of these laying around the house, and thought it would make a very cool and original pen.

It takes a short fountain pen cartridge. It's not long enough to take a converter. The cap is just black acrylic segmented with two medium guitar picks. I used parts from an old Churchill pen that I had scrapped. I pushed out the threaded piece from the nip coupler and made a custom ring to slide over it to allow the threaded cap piece fit flush with the lower barrel. The new nib coupler is glued into the body. I omitted the trim ring from the cap. The recessed clip is from an Elegant Beauty Sierra and was a last minute addition to the pen.

Hope you folks enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it. Comments, please!

Attachments

• DSCF4824.JPG
    DSCF4824.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCF4825.JPG
    DSCF4825.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCF4826.JPG
    DSCF4826.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF4827.JPG
    DSCF4827.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCF4830.JPG
    DSCF4830.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

That is a very resourceful idea. I think that is definitely thinking outside the box. I love it. The color combo rocks. The fit is awesome. Did I say I love it. Nicely Done....

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice one - if you want to use a converter, there are a couple of vendors here that sell a mini version - about the same length as a cartridge.

Brooks803

That is too cool! VERY innovative! I'm always looking at random clutter around the house and asking myself if I can use it or parts of it to make a pen...Heck, I do that everywhere I go now!

bgibb42

I'm always looking at random clutter around the house and asking myself if I can use it or parts of it to make a pen...

Yeah, I was talking to my Dad in his shop the other day, and he made a similar comment wondering how much stuff he could take apart in his house to make a pen out of.:rolleyes:

RAdams

Banned
Pretty slick idea no doubt! An almost guarantee Hit with any Picker!! But I have to be honest, I'm not really feelin the lid.

If you are interested, I have a Yellow and black storebought blank that is yellow with black ribbons going through it. If you want it to made a redux, I think a yellow pick sandwiched by two black picks on top with this blank would make an INSANE LID! The segmented picks would look like layered pickguard or something!!! I will ship it to ya for free just to get to see the finished product posted on the boards!

If you want, I will take a pic of the blank.

RAdams

Banned
I just went and looked at the blank. It is actually made kinda neat... There is a layer of yellow, then a thin layer of black, then a neat gold pearl color, then black, then yellow again. The wild part is that is is very uneven layers. The stuff is all over the place. Pretty cool looking blank.

bgibb42

Pretty slick idea no doubt! An almost guarantee Hit with any Picker!! But I have to be honest, I'm not really feelin the lid.

If you are interested, I have a Yellow and black storebought blank that is yellow with black ribbons going through it. If you want it to made a redux, I think a yellow pick sandwiched by two black picks on top with this blank would make an INSANE LID! The segmented picks would look like layered pickguard or something!!! I will ship it to ya for free just to get to see the finished product posted on the boards!

If you want, I will take a pic of the blank.

I'm game! PM sent.

cnirenberg

Brian,
Great idea, way to think outside of that box. That pen works for me. Ff the barrel length is a problem just turn a custom nib and or an extension piece. I like it the way it is.

Top Bottom