Streamlining the Woodpile

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larry in Harrow

Woodpile_Streamline-Rt-Gold.jpg

I make these Streamline R/T style, and Slimlines for the Windsor Woodcarving Museum as a source of income for them. Something low-range for them to display and sell.
This batch all came from my wood shed, hackberry, sugar maple, white oak, red elm, hickory, as well as curly maple and red oak.
My favorites of the bunch are:
-Curly Red Oak
%2311011_Streamline-Rt-Gold_Curly-Red-Oak.jpg

Red Elm, a surprise:
%2311010_Streamline-Rt-Gold_Red-Elm.jpg

Curly Maple:
%2311008_Streamline-Rt-Gold_Curly-Maple.jpg

And Figured Hackberry:
%2311003_Streamline-Rt-Gold_Figured-Hackberry.jpg

I also did some using up half blanks, stabalized curly maple combined with alternate casien, alternate ebony, and Red Spiney Gemstone.
Acrylic-Pile_Streamline-RT.jpg

Not sure if I like that last bunch, prefer the real wood. All finishes are CA. Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MorganGrafixx

Very nice! I like the way you got around the tenon turning part of the Euro. That is my least favorite part as it almost never turns out the proper size.

LeeR

Very nice logpile indeed! I've not done many pens so far, but I did have a lot of curly maple in my wood supply, and decided to try it for a recent pen I was amazed at the fantastic reflections of light at the "curls" or bands in the grain.

wood-of-1kind

Nice "collection" Larry. I particularly like the way you accentuate the "rings" on the clip end. You have given me an idea that I'd like to try using copper wire.

Rick_G

Nice bunch of pens Larry, I agree with liking wood better. I do like the metal rings in the last bunch though. I've been using a contrasting wood and wire burning the lines in. Picked up some brass an aluminum sheet the last time I was at Lee Valley in London (there's a metal mart in the same plaza) so may have to give that a try.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
what kit is this , a slimline with a oval top I love it. what kind of centerband comes with the kit? the group of pens are well done and your finish is realy good

Nice bunch of pens Larry, I agree with liking wood better. I do like the metal rings in the last bunch though. I've been using a contrasting wood and wire burning the lines in. Picked up some brass an aluminum sheet the last time I was at Lee Valley in London (there's a metal mart in the same plaza) so may have to give that a try.

Hi Rick,

There's a metal mart in that plaze? I must have walked right by it several times.
I picked up this stuff at a hobby shop. Thanks and glad you could use that maple. I've got to turn a bunch of those as well. Mr. Bell is helping me out with some stabalizing for that project.

Rick_G

Hi Rick,

There's a metal mart in that plaze? I must have walked right by it several times.
I picked up this stuff at a hobby shop. Thanks and glad you could use that maple. I've got to turn a bunch of those as well. Mr. Bell is helping me out with some stabalizing for that project.

It's at the far end (closest to airport) Next time you are heading to busy bee stop by Bothwell on the way. Maple is almost all used. I generally send them to Jim in batches of 10 or so. Part way through the second batch.

LeeR

what kit is this , a slimline with a oval top I love it. what kind of centerband comes with the kit? the group of pens are well done and your finish is realy good

Those are Streamline RT -- round tops. My first pens were the FTs -- flat tops. They are like a slim, but more stylized.

Ironically, the center bands are one of their best features -- wider than slimlines, and they look like 4 stacked rings. Lee Valley sells both Streamline kits -- that is where I first got them. I have found a source for the centerbands in Australia, to substitute on all my remaining slimline kits. .... Unless Larry wants to sell his ... :)

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi Larry,

Good effort of those pens mate, all look fine...!:wink:

The amazing thing happened when I scrawled down to the page and I got the second lot of pens and, believe it or not, the image I saw was of a group of women dressed up with their stylish fur coats, something we would see often in shows...!:eek: seriously man, that was the image I saw at first glance while scrawling down....!:rolleyes:

While the image wasn't real, it reflected considerably from the curl in the top barrels, funny thing, really...!

Anyway, I am also not to keep in those type of material mixers, I also prefer one one pen, either single or 2 tone woods...!

Cheers
George

I like that figured hackberry, great job. Anymore where that came from?? Hint-hint.

Thanks again everybody. Gotta like them "Atta boys". As a matter of fact, I do have more of that hackberry. Our little class 2 tornado knocked down my neighbour's tree last June and I raided the woodpile. Would you like some?

George, I don't know about you. Think you've been in the bush too long. Women in stylish coats? Take a deep breath my friend.:biggrin:

Lee, I won't sell the CB's but you are welcome to them if you want 'em. Got about 40. PM me if you do.

ctubbs

Larry, late to the pile on, but your pens are wonderful. The fit and finish is tremendous. If they cant sell those pens for a good price, then they need to hire some salesmen. They should sell themselves. Good job, Larry.
charles

Tage

Wow, I really like the look of those without the center band. Amazing what you can get off the woodpile. I just turned a Trimline from a peach tree that came down in my backyard....doesn't compare with those.

I have a question on going without the center band from a newbie.....when making a pen like that, I'm assuming you need to use a longer upper tube to compensate for the absence of the band when you assemble it, correct?

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Wow, I really like the look of those without the center band. Amazing what you can get off the woodpile. I just turned a Trimline from a peach tree that came down in my backyard....doesn't compare with those.

I have a question on going without the center band from a newbie.....when making a pen like that, I'm assuming you need to use a longer upper tube to compensate for the absence of the band when you assemble it, correct?

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Thanks Dave,

Nope on the longer upper tube. Actually I found that using a longer lower tube made it look more proportional. I've been using a length of 2.375" on the lower and it looks and feels pretty good to me.

Top Bottom