Stratawood Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ken Massingale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with the very nice cocobolo blanks I ordered from Bill Jacobs, was a nice, but different, little 'bonus' blank.
Bill says it is stratawood, which apparently he rescued from the jaws of a dumpster.:D
Whatever it is, and regardless of where it came from, LOML insisted I turn it before any of the cocobolo. I like this stuff, it turned easy, but was very thirsty from being abandoned in the dumpster, it drank several loads of sealer before getting satisfied.
Anyhow, here's the resulting cigar pen:

200541895945_stratowood_pen2.jpg

Thanks for looking.
ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I really like that wood. Can't purchase any more right now (and remain married) but hope it's available in the future.

P.S. The pen's great too!!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Bill got that wood from the dumpster of a place that makes the risers for Compound bows... it also is done in a camo color combination... it is a shame that the place does not do the resin impregnation for the risers.. apparently that is done at the factory that actually makes the bows... probably a propriatory recipe..

ilikewood

Great looking pen Ken. You really did a good a job with it. It was a good idea to use a sanding sealer instead of CA as this wood is very thirsty. CA seems to darken it a bit and the sealer kept it very light.

Yes, the true orgin or that wood was in the garbage. This came from the last 3/4" cut of the sheets of this production shop that makes the grip section for some compound bows. They use 3" wide sections of the sheets and had no use for the last trimmed section (ala garbage bin). [8D]

ilikewood

Posted - Apr 18 2005 : 7:38:30 PM Thanks to all of you, it's appreciated.
This was a fun blank to turn, I'd like to have a few more to test a little dying.
Ken

Is that a hint? [8D] Contact me off-line and we can discuss it! [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom