Strange but nice PC colour

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dexter0606

dexter0606

I had an order for a sterling silver Churchill fountain pen. The customer was very specific about the colour. It had to be very similar to the blue colour of a Canadian passport. After scouring the net to find an acrylic that would suit I soon realized that there was nothing close. I decided on Polymer clay but again no luck with the colour. After consulting with the PC Guru Toni, I decided to try and mix colours (black and blue) to get were I wanted.
It ended up kind of mottled no matter how much I mixed and worked the clay. I even went so far as to make another attempt at mixing and it was the same result.
This is the result. And the customer likes it so it's all good.

Attachments

• Pen 220 - 2.jpg
    Pen 220 - 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Pen 220 - closeup.jpg
    Pen 220 - closeup.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 273
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
That is a nice pen! And the color is pretty slick too...

For future reference, You might have been able to find an acrylic blank asking around the casting forum... I betcha somebody (me) woulda offered to pour you up a very very close dark blue blank, and prolly for free too...

Lenny

Very Nice!

Jeff, did you create a blank out of the PC and then drill it ? ... or did you wrap the tube ? ... Was it turned or did you use the PC Goddess' method?

dexter0606

Ron, I thoughgt about it but wanted to give the PC a try.

Lenny, I wrapped the tube and then turned it. Which worries me a little because the is no adhesive holding the tube in.

I wrapped the tube and then turned it. Which worries me a little because the is no adhesive holding the tube in,
Being a capped pen you should be alright. PC forms a pretty good friction fit when cured on the tube. If it survived turning then it should survive the normal stress of the day. If it was a twist pen it would be different story.

For future reference there are several adhesives you can apply to the tube before wrapping with your polymer. The heat from curing will form a good bond and the PC in place.

Top Bottom