The Story of the Black Lotus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

I was getting ready to make a Jr. Emperor in black PR when Blind Squirrel posted his, I received two pens from JohnnyCNC, one a Jr Emperor and a Lotus, I'll tell you what, for a hack like me to jump on a a 40.00 kit is pretty hard, but I figured since Scott had gotten his up what the heck his was way better than mine would have been. So i find a piece of one inch PVC make a plug, and fill it with Black PR made with US Composites PR dye. I'm thinking I have some statesman pens so this will work for sets, I went to my pen stash and here in all it's gleaming glory was this kit, I looked at the large black rod, and thought Now is the time to fish or cut bait. I grabbed the Lotus kit with the reverence one affords his first romantic interlude, (a state somewhere between euphoria and shear panic) Got the lower barrel done easy polished out flawlessly, get close to size on the cap, the surface was wavy, apparently a soft spot in the cast, this was a first for me.Second cap I made black epoxy but it wasn't opaque enough, (brass) OK Third try I used a trick of Daniels, I sharpied the tube black, put a bit more pigment in the epoxy and here is what I wound up with, Please comment freely and honestly.

Black-Lotus-1.jpg

Black-Lotus-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Lovely pen Ken, I am not sure about the mirror picture as the pen reflection is a little distracting, your penturning is fantastic and that is the main thing!

bitshird

John, Thank you, I would never thought about trying such a splendid kit, I really sweated bullets on this, mostly due to who it came from :worship:, I'm a lot more comfortable with Cigars or Barons, if you screw up there it's no great loss, but on a pen like this I learned a lesson on humility, and a tad about craftsmanship, it's really good to see you back posting again, Thank you so much for the kits I'll treasure these forever, I changed the pictures on my server so they will look better with no mirror, and thanks to everyone else for the wonderful comments,

Top Bottom